Dec 13, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT
Canada isn’t giving up hope for Sean Monahan‘s participation in the 2014 Word Junior Hockey Championships.
Following Calgary’s front-office shakeup yesterday — GM Jay Feaster and assistant John Weisbrod were let go — a Hockey Canada official said they’d check back with the Flames about the availability of Sean Monahan (10 days ago, Feaster said the club wouldn’t release their prized rookie for the tournament.)
“A no is a no whether it comes from Brian Burke or Jay,” directory of hockey operations Scott Salmond said, as per the Globe and Mail. “Out of respect for Brian we’ll go back and ask again. I’m sure Brian was part of the original decision.
“Whether things change or not will be up to the Calgary Flames, but it’s worth a try.”
Canada currently has just one NHLer in the mix for the tournament — Minnesota defenseman Mathew Dumba. Colorado’s Nathan MacKinnon and Washington’s Tom Wilson have already been ruled out, and it’s still unclear if Toronto’s Morgan Rielly will get his release from Leafs GM Dave Nonis.
Complicating things for Monahan is that he’s currently on injured reserve with a fractured foot. When Feaster announced Calgary wouldn’t be releasing the 19-year-old, he made mention of the fact that Monahan would recover from his injury under team supervision, then return to the Flames lineup once healthy.
The sixth overall pick at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, Monahan has been one of Calgary’s best players this season, sitting second in the team in goals (nine) and points (15) at the time of his injury. The former OHL Ottawa standout was averaging over 16 minutes per game and sat fifth among all rookies in scoring.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 60
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 35
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 31
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 19
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)