Dec 13, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
When Ilya Bryzgalov was first sidelined with a concussion, Edmonton Oilers coach Dallas Eakins suggested “It might be two days, it might be two years.” As it happens, Bryzgalov might be back after roughly two weeks.
Although the 33-year-old goaltender won’t be available for tonight’s game against the Vancouver Canucks, Eakins said he’s “close” to returning, according to ESPN/TSN’s Pierre LeBrun.
That news comes after netminder Devan Dubnyk was yanked from Thursday’s game against Boston after allowing three goals on 18 shots in the first period of a 4-2 defeat. Dubnyk has a 3.36 GAA and .890 save percentage in 26 contests this season.
Bryzgalov has a colorful history, from his glory days in Phoenix to his disastrous tenure with the Philadelphia Flyers that ended with his nine-year contract being bought out. After inking a one-year, $2 million contract with Edmonton, he will have a shot at earning the starting job and turning his career around.
Before he was hurt, Bryzgalov had a 2.11 GAA and .939 save percentage in four games.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)