Dec 13, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
When Ilya Bryzgalov was first sidelined with a concussion, Edmonton Oilers coach Dallas Eakins suggested “It might be two days, it might be two years.” As it happens, Bryzgalov might be back after roughly two weeks.
Although the 33-year-old goaltender won’t be available for tonight’s game against the Vancouver Canucks, Eakins said he’s “close” to returning, according to ESPN/TSN’s Pierre LeBrun.
That news comes after netminder Devan Dubnyk was yanked from Thursday’s game against Boston after allowing three goals on 18 shots in the first period of a 4-2 defeat. Dubnyk has a 3.36 GAA and .890 save percentage in 26 contests this season.
Bryzgalov has a colorful history, from his glory days in Phoenix to his disastrous tenure with the Philadelphia Flyers that ended with his nine-year contract being bought out. After inking a one-year, $2 million contract with Edmonton, he will have a shot at earning the starting job and turning his career around.
Before he was hurt, Bryzgalov had a 2.11 GAA and .939 save percentage in four games.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 23
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 5
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 12
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)