Dec 13, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
When Ilya Bryzgalov was first sidelined with a concussion, Edmonton Oilers coach Dallas Eakins suggested “It might be two days, it might be two years.” As it happens, Bryzgalov might be back after roughly two weeks.
Although the 33-year-old goaltender won’t be available for tonight’s game against the Vancouver Canucks, Eakins said he’s “close” to returning, according to ESPN/TSN’s Pierre LeBrun.
That news comes after netminder Devan Dubnyk was yanked from Thursday’s game against Boston after allowing three goals on 18 shots in the first period of a 4-2 defeat. Dubnyk has a 3.36 GAA and .890 save percentage in 26 contests this season.
Bryzgalov has a colorful history, from his glory days in Phoenix to his disastrous tenure with the Philadelphia Flyers that ended with his nine-year contract being bought out. After inking a one-year, $2 million contract with Edmonton, he will have a shot at earning the starting job and turning his career around.
Before he was hurt, Bryzgalov had a 2.11 GAA and .939 save percentage in four games.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 20
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)