Dec 13, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
When Ilya Bryzgalov was first sidelined with a concussion, Edmonton Oilers coach Dallas Eakins suggested “It might be two days, it might be two years.” As it happens, Bryzgalov might be back after roughly two weeks.
Although the 33-year-old goaltender won’t be available for tonight’s game against the Vancouver Canucks, Eakins said he’s “close” to returning, according to ESPN/TSN’s Pierre LeBrun.
That news comes after netminder Devan Dubnyk was yanked from Thursday’s game against Boston after allowing three goals on 18 shots in the first period of a 4-2 defeat. Dubnyk has a 3.36 GAA and .890 save percentage in 26 contests this season.
Bryzgalov has a colorful history, from his glory days in Phoenix to his disastrous tenure with the Philadelphia Flyers that ended with his nine-year contract being bought out. After inking a one-year, $2 million contract with Edmonton, he will have a shot at earning the starting job and turning his career around.
Before he was hurt, Bryzgalov had a 2.11 GAA and .939 save percentage in four games.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)