Dec 13, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
When Ilya Bryzgalov was first sidelined with a concussion, Edmonton Oilers coach Dallas Eakins suggested “It might be two days, it might be two years.” As it happens, Bryzgalov might be back after roughly two weeks.
Although the 33-year-old goaltender won’t be available for tonight’s game against the Vancouver Canucks, Eakins said he’s “close” to returning, according to ESPN/TSN’s Pierre LeBrun.
That news comes after netminder Devan Dubnyk was yanked from Thursday’s game against Boston after allowing three goals on 18 shots in the first period of a 4-2 defeat. Dubnyk has a 3.36 GAA and .890 save percentage in 26 contests this season.
Bryzgalov has a colorful history, from his glory days in Phoenix to his disastrous tenure with the Philadelphia Flyers that ended with his nine-year contract being bought out. After inking a one-year, $2 million contract with Edmonton, he will have a shot at earning the starting job and turning his career around.
Before he was hurt, Bryzgalov had a 2.11 GAA and .939 save percentage in four games.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (59)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)