Dec 13, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
Jamal Mayers, a veteran of over 900 NHL contests, has announced his retirement after 14 seasons.
“It really has been an amazing experience to have had the chance to play 14 seasons in the NHL, and finish it all off last season as a part of the Chicago Blackhawks winning the Stanley Cup,” said Mayers, through the NHLPA. “Thank you to my mother Doreen, who gave me every opportunity to play this game while doing a remarkable job as a single parent of two in Toronto, my brother Allan for everything he did and gave up for me, and my stepdad Alan Crosswell.
“I would also like to thank my teammates, friends and fans, as well as Larry Pleau, Pat Brisson, Jim Nice and each of the five organizations I was fortunate enough to play for in my career.”
A fourth-round pick at the 1993 NHL Entry Draft, Mayers spent the first 10 years of his career in St. Louis, scoring a career-high 15 goals during the 2005-06 campaign.
A gritty, physical forward that wasn’t afraid to fight — he had over 100 career scraps, according to HockeyFights — Mayers enjoyed his best seasons with the Blues but had the most postseason success in the latter stages of the career, going to the Western Conference finals with San Jose in 2011 before winning a Cup with Chicago last season.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)