Dec 13, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Jamal Mayers, a veteran of over 900 NHL contests, has announced his retirement after 14 seasons.
“It really has been an amazing experience to have had the chance to play 14 seasons in the NHL, and finish it all off last season as a part of the Chicago Blackhawks winning the Stanley Cup,” said Mayers, through the NHLPA. “Thank you to my mother Doreen, who gave me every opportunity to play this game while doing a remarkable job as a single parent of two in Toronto, my brother Allan for everything he did and gave up for me, and my stepdad Alan Crosswell.
“I would also like to thank my teammates, friends and fans, as well as Larry Pleau, Pat Brisson, Jim Nice and each of the five organizations I was fortunate enough to play for in my career.”
A fourth-round pick at the 1993 NHL Entry Draft, Mayers spent the first 10 years of his career in St. Louis, scoring a career-high 15 goals during the 2005-06 campaign.
A gritty, physical forward that wasn’t afraid to fight — he had over 100 career scraps, according to HockeyFights — Mayers enjoyed his best seasons with the Blues but had the most postseason success in the latter stages of the career, going to the Western Conference finals with San Jose in 2011 before winning a Cup with Chicago last season.
- Kopitar + adorable dog = best day with the Stanley Cup? 7
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets’ next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 31
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 40
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 72
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 171
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (171)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (72)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)