Dec 12, 2013, 12:54 AM EDT
Three straight losses. After a difficult start to the season, times haven’t necessarily gotten much better for the New York Rangers, at least in terms of on-ice results.
But head coach Alain Vigneault, in his first season with the Rangers, is taking the positives out of what he’s seen with a group of players he’s still getting familiar with.
“As far as work ethic, practices, off ice work, this group works as hard as any group I have been associated with,” said Vigneault, as per Newsday Long Island.
“It hasn’t translated to what I expect on the ice as far as performance and results, but I believe the work ethic that they’re doing and everything that’s under their control, hopefully the results are going to change in a positive way.”
The Rangers sit fourth in the Metropolitan Division, with a record of 15-16-1. But their 31 points has them ninth in the Eastern Conference, one point back of the Carolina Hurricanes.
Their struggles of late have been highlighted by back-to-back 4-1 losses, first to the Washington Capitals on Sunday and then the Nashville Predators on Tuesday.
They were booed off the ice after losing to Nashville.
Not a good way to start off a nine-game home stand – remember, they had that nine-game road trip to begin the season – that leads them up to Dec. 23.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)