Dec 12, 2013, 12:54 AM EDT
Three straight losses. After a difficult start to the season, times haven’t necessarily gotten much better for the New York Rangers, at least in terms of on-ice results.
But head coach Alain Vigneault, in his first season with the Rangers, is taking the positives out of what he’s seen with a group of players he’s still getting familiar with.
“As far as work ethic, practices, off ice work, this group works as hard as any group I have been associated with,” said Vigneault, as per Newsday Long Island.
“It hasn’t translated to what I expect on the ice as far as performance and results, but I believe the work ethic that they’re doing and everything that’s under their control, hopefully the results are going to change in a positive way.”
The Rangers sit fourth in the Metropolitan Division, with a record of 15-16-1. But their 31 points has them ninth in the Eastern Conference, one point back of the Carolina Hurricanes.
Their struggles of late have been highlighted by back-to-back 4-1 losses, first to the Washington Capitals on Sunday and then the Nashville Predators on Tuesday.
They were booed off the ice after losing to Nashville.
Not a good way to start off a nine-game home stand – remember, they had that nine-game road trip to begin the season – that leads them up to Dec. 23.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 29
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)