Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EDT
The incident occurred late in the second period and caused some confusion. No penalty was initially called on the play but, after some discussion, Emelin was informed of his fate and forced to leave the Montreal bench, ending his night.
There was some concern for Downie. The Philly forward has a history of concussions — he missed four games earlier this season after suffering one during a fight with Washington’s Aaron Volpatti — and needed help leaving the ice.
UPDATE: Downie returned to the Flyers bench for the start of the third period.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 25
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 7
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (26)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)