Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EDT
The incident occurred late in the second period and caused some confusion. No penalty was initially called on the play but, after some discussion, Emelin was informed of his fate and forced to leave the Montreal bench, ending his night.
There was some concern for Downie. The Philly forward has a history of concussions — he missed four games earlier this season after suffering one during a fight with Washington’s Aaron Volpatti — and needed help leaving the ice.
UPDATE: Downie returned to the Flyers bench for the start of the third period.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)