Dec 12, 2013, 8:52 PM EDT
Thursday’s shaping up to be a pretty forgettable night for several NHL netminders.
David Backes opened the floodgates at the 4:48 mark — his 14th of the season — and the Blues poured it on from there as Jaden Schwartz and Derek Roy each scored their eighth goals of the season in a four-minute span.
Reimer didn’t play especially well — losing his goal stick on one of the St. Louis tallies — but the guys in front of him offered little support. The Leafs were out-shot 16-7 in the period and were throttled in the faceoff circle, losing 19 of 27 draws.
Elsewhere, Henrik Lundqvist got the hook in New York as the Rangers gave up three first-period goals to Columbus. The Jackets suffered some unfortunate luck on the goaltending front as well, as starter Curtis McElhinney suffered a lower-body injury and was replaced by third-stringer Mike McKenna.
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 4
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 14
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28