Dec 12, 2013, 8:52 PM EDT
Thursday’s shaping up to be a pretty forgettable night for several NHL netminders.
David Backes opened the floodgates at the 4:48 mark — his 14th of the season — and the Blues poured it on from there as Jaden Schwartz and Derek Roy each scored their eighth goals of the season in a four-minute span.
Reimer didn’t play especially well — losing his goal stick on one of the St. Louis tallies — but the guys in front of him offered little support. The Leafs were out-shot 16-7 in the period and were throttled in the faceoff circle, losing 19 of 27 draws.
Elsewhere, Henrik Lundqvist got the hook in New York as the Rangers gave up three first-period goals to Columbus. The Jackets suffered some unfortunate luck on the goaltending front as well, as starter Curtis McElhinney suffered a lower-body injury and was replaced by third-stringer Mike McKenna.
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 3
- Report: Witness subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)