Dec 12, 2013, 8:52 PM EDT
Thursday’s shaping up to be a pretty forgettable night for several NHL netminders.
David Backes opened the floodgates at the 4:48 mark — his 14th of the season — and the Blues poured it on from there as Jaden Schwartz and Derek Roy each scored their eighth goals of the season in a four-minute span.
Reimer didn’t play especially well — losing his goal stick on one of the St. Louis tallies — but the guys in front of him offered little support. The Leafs were out-shot 16-7 in the period and were throttled in the faceoff circle, losing 19 of 27 draws.
Elsewhere, Henrik Lundqvist got the hook in New York as the Rangers gave up three first-period goals to Columbus. The Jackets suffered some unfortunate luck on the goaltending front as well, as starter Curtis McElhinney suffered a lower-body injury and was replaced by third-stringer Mike McKenna.
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 11
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 3
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 20
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 22
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)