Dec 12, 2013, 2:57 PM EST
The Calgary Flames aren’t wasting any time.
Just a short while after dismissing GM Jay Feaster and assistant John Weisbrod, the club reportedly gained permission to interview Joe Nieuwendyk for its vacant general manager position, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
Nieuwendyk was fired as GM in Dallas this past April with a year left on his contract, which is why the Flames required permission to speak with him.
It’s not surprising the 47-year-old Hockey Hall of Famer is in the running for the Calgary gig. Nieuwendyk spent the first nine years of his NHL career in with the Flames — winning a Stanley Cup in 1989 — and worked in both Florida’s and Toronto’s front office prior to taking the head job in Dallas.
Nieuwendyk’s time with Dallas was filled with highs and lows but, perhaps most notably, no playoff appearances in his four years on the job. He was widely skewered for trading James Neal and Matt Niskanen to Pittsburgh in exchange for Alex Goligoski, and also fired Dave Tippett — who went on to great success in Phoenix — replacing him with Marc Crawford and then Glen Gulutzan, neither of whom lasted long.
For a comprehensive rundown of Nieuwendyk’s time in Dallas, click here.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 3
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)