Dec 12, 2013, 2:57 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames aren’t wasting any time.
Just a short while after dismissing GM Jay Feaster and assistant John Weisbrod, the club reportedly gained permission to interview Joe Nieuwendyk for its vacant general manager position, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
Nieuwendyk was fired as GM in Dallas this past April with a year left on his contract, which is why the Flames required permission to speak with him.
It’s not surprising the 47-year-old Hockey Hall of Famer is in the running for the Calgary gig. Nieuwendyk spent the first nine years of his NHL career in with the Flames — winning a Stanley Cup in 1989 — and worked in both Florida’s and Toronto’s front office prior to taking the head job in Dallas.
Nieuwendyk’s time with Dallas was filled with highs and lows but, perhaps most notably, no playoff appearances in his four years on the job. He was widely skewered for trading James Neal and Matt Niskanen to Pittsburgh in exchange for Alex Goligoski, and also fired Dave Tippett — who went on to great success in Phoenix — replacing him with Marc Crawford and then Glen Gulutzan, neither of whom lasted long.
For a comprehensive rundown of Nieuwendyk’s time in Dallas, click here.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 9
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 51
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (54)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)