Dec 12, 2013, 2:57 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames aren’t wasting any time.
Just a short while after dismissing GM Jay Feaster and assistant John Weisbrod, the club reportedly gained permission to interview Joe Nieuwendyk for its vacant general manager position, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
Nieuwendyk was fired as GM in Dallas this past April with a year left on his contract, which is why the Flames required permission to speak with him.
It’s not surprising the 47-year-old Hockey Hall of Famer is in the running for the Calgary gig. Nieuwendyk spent the first nine years of his NHL career in with the Flames — winning a Stanley Cup in 1989 — and worked in both Florida’s and Toronto’s front office prior to taking the head job in Dallas.
Nieuwendyk’s time with Dallas was filled with highs and lows but, perhaps most notably, no playoff appearances in his four years on the job. He was widely skewered for trading James Neal and Matt Niskanen to Pittsburgh in exchange for Alex Goligoski, and also fired Dave Tippett — who went on to great success in Phoenix — replacing him with Marc Crawford and then Glen Gulutzan, neither of whom lasted long.
For a comprehensive rundown of Nieuwendyk’s time in Dallas, click here.
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)