Dec 12, 2013, 2:57 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames aren’t wasting any time.
Just a short while after dismissing GM Jay Feaster and assistant John Weisbrod, the club reportedly gained permission to interview Joe Nieuwendyk for its vacant general manager position, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
Nieuwendyk was fired as GM in Dallas this past April with a year left on his contract, which is why the Flames required permission to speak with him.
It’s not surprising the 47-year-old Hockey Hall of Famer is in the running for the Calgary gig. Nieuwendyk spent the first nine years of his NHL career in with the Flames — winning a Stanley Cup in 1989 — and worked in both Florida’s and Toronto’s front office prior to taking the head job in Dallas.
Nieuwendyk’s time with Dallas was filled with highs and lows but, perhaps most notably, no playoff appearances in his four years on the job. He was widely skewered for trading James Neal and Matt Niskanen to Pittsburgh in exchange for Alex Goligoski, and also fired Dave Tippett — who went on to great success in Phoenix — replacing him with Marc Crawford and then Glen Gulutzan, neither of whom lasted long.
For a comprehensive rundown of Nieuwendyk’s time in Dallas, click here.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)