Dec 12, 2013, 2:57 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames aren’t wasting any time.
Just a short while after dismissing GM Jay Feaster and assistant John Weisbrod, the club reportedly gained permission to interview Joe Nieuwendyk for its vacant general manager position, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger.
Nieuwendyk was fired as GM in Dallas this past April with a year left on his contract, which is why the Flames required permission to speak with him.
It’s not surprising the 47-year-old Hockey Hall of Famer is in the running for the Calgary gig. Nieuwendyk spent the first nine years of his NHL career in with the Flames — winning a Stanley Cup in 1989 — and worked in both Florida’s and Toronto’s front office prior to taking the head job in Dallas.
Nieuwendyk’s time with Dallas was filled with highs and lows but, perhaps most notably, no playoff appearances in his four years on the job. He was widely skewered for trading James Neal and Matt Niskanen to Pittsburgh in exchange for Alex Goligoski, and also fired Dave Tippett — who went on to great success in Phoenix — replacing him with Marc Crawford and then Glen Gulutzan, neither of whom lasted long.
For a comprehensive rundown of Nieuwendyk’s time in Dallas, click here.
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 21
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 35
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 26
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 63
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 34
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)