Dec 12, 2013, 11:10 PM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs didn’t play well against the St. Louis Blues on Thursday. Randy Carlyle was blunt in his assessment.
The Blues built up a three-goal lead in the first period, capped off by Derek Roy‘s eighth goal of the season, which came at the 16:10 mark. That resulted in Leafs goalie James Reimer getting pulled in favor of Jonathan Bernier.
It didn’t get much better for Toronto after that.
The Leafs fell behind by four goals early in the second period, before making things somewhat interesting with two late goals in the third period to cut the St. Louis lead to two.
But it was far too little, too late. David Backes scored into an empty net to wipe out the very small chance of a Leafs comeback.
The Leafs have now lost three in a row to begin one of their most difficult stretch of games this season. They lost to the Boston Bruins and L.A. Kings prior to Thursday.
They return home for one game, and it’s against the defending champions, the Chicago Blackhawks on Saturday.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)