Dec 12, 2013, 11:10 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs didn’t play well against the St. Louis Blues on Thursday. Randy Carlyle was blunt in his assessment.
The Blues built up a three-goal lead in the first period, capped off by Derek Roy‘s eighth goal of the season, which came at the 16:10 mark. That resulted in Leafs goalie James Reimer getting pulled in favor of Jonathan Bernier.
It didn’t get much better for Toronto after that.
The Leafs fell behind by four goals early in the second period, before making things somewhat interesting with two late goals in the third period to cut the St. Louis lead to two.
But it was far too little, too late. David Backes scored into an empty net to wipe out the very small chance of a Leafs comeback.
The Leafs have now lost three in a row to begin one of their most difficult stretch of games this season. They lost to the Boston Bruins and L.A. Kings prior to Thursday.
They return home for one game, and it’s against the defending champions, the Chicago Blackhawks on Saturday.
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)