Dec 12, 2013, 8:10 AM EST
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Yes, the lockout last year was terrible. Yes, it was a terrible black eye for the sport… But now the league is awash in money after the Rogers TV deal in Canada and one columnist says the players should thank commissioner Gary Bettman for making it all possible. (Winnipeg Free Press)
Editor’s Note: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a $4,000 Fantasy Hockey league for Thursday’s NHL games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $1,000. Starts Thursday at 7pm ET. Here’s the FanDuel link.
It may only be happening in baby steps, but the Dallas Stars are making improvements needed to try and get back in the playoff race. (Dallas Morning News)
The salary cap is going to go up and that’s going to present problems for teams like the St. Louis Blues. (St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 20
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5