Dec 12, 2013, 7:39 PM EST
It’s getting ugly in New York.
The Rangers — already off to a disastrous 0-3 start to their record-long nine-game homestand — surrendered three goals in the opening 12 minutes of tonight’s game vs. Columbus, forcing Alain Vigneault to yank Henrik Lundqvist in favor of Cam Talbot.
What’s more, the MSG faithful cheered Talbot upon his entrance to the game.
New York was remarkably flat to start the contest, a stunning development given it has just one point from its last three games. Matt Calvert scored his fourth goal of the year just 38 seconds in, followed by Artem Anisimov‘s eighth of the year at 8:46 — in his first game back at Madison Square Garden.
At the 11:10 mark, David Savard fired home his first of the year and Columbus’ third of the period, which led to Vigneault giving Lundqvist the hook.
The switch to Talbot did give the Rangers a lift. Dominic Moore scored on the power play with just under six minutes remaining in the frame, cutting the Blue Jackets lead to 3-1.
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 13
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 23
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 29
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 53
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers host Flyers on Rivalry Night 4
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (53)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)