Dec 12, 2013, 12:37 PM EDT
One of the big stories from early this season was the massive ice time being logged by Nashville’s rookie defenseman, Seth Jones.
Recently, though, that narrative has changed — Jones played a season-low 9:29 against the Rangers on Tuesday — and now he’s looking to reverse that course.
“I’ve had a few meetings with [Preds head coach Barry Trotz] and was probably playing more minutes than I should at the beginning of the year because [Roman] Josi got hurt, but that was the circumstance,” Jones told The Tennessean. “I think how many minutes I play is reflected with how I actually play.
“That’s usually how it works, but I’m looking to get my minutes back up.”
Jones logged some remarkable TOI totals in the first month of the season, including 28:14 in a 2-1 shootout loss to L.A. on Oct. 17 — just his seventh NHL game — and 30:19 in a 5-4 shootout loss to Phoenix on Oct. 31.
When Shea Weber was lost after taking a puck to the eye in late November, Jones’ minutes spiked again. He played a career-high 30:43 against Philly on Nov. 30 and 29:40 the following game against Vancouver — but there’s been a dramatic down spike since.
Jones is minus-11 on the season and his Corsi (a plus-minus statistic that measures shot attempts) has decreased steadily as the year’s progressed. His offensive production has dried up — just three points in his last 17 games — and, as a result, Trotz has dramatically cut Jones’ minutes.
Prior to playing less than 10 minutes against the Rangers, Jones saw just 12:42 in a 5-2 loss to Washington.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)