Dec 12, 2013, 11:57 PM EDT
Hard to know for sure if the Calgary Flames played with enough truculence Thursday night, but they did get a win.
Yes, the Flames made headlines today when Brian Burke fired former general manager Jay Feaster and assistant GM John Weisbrod. Burke now takes over as the acting GM, and, of course he brought up at his press conference earlier in the day how he wants the Flames to be a more truculent team going forward under a newly developing regime.
But Burke will probably be happy with this: tough guy Brian McGrattan, more prone to throwing fists, scored his first goal of the season. Chris Butler was also originally given credit for the overtime winner, as the Flames got past the Carolina Hurricanes by a final score of 2-1 in the extra frame.
The win caps off an eventful day, to say the least, in Calgary.
However, Burke maintained that the coaching staff, led by bench boss Bob Hartley, is safe. Surely, a win helps a little bit, too.
“I’m very happy with the coaching staff,” Burke said, as per the Calgary Herald.
“I think sometimes when a change like this is made, the instantaneous reaction is, ‘Who’s next?’ There will be no further changes. Even if a new GM comes in, these coaches are going to coach this team through this year. I promised them that.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 1
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 22
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 35
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)