Dec 12, 2013, 11:57 PM EDT
Hard to know for sure if the Calgary Flames played with enough truculence Thursday night, but they did get a win.
Yes, the Flames made headlines today when Brian Burke fired former general manager Jay Feaster and assistant GM John Weisbrod. Burke now takes over as the acting GM, and, of course he brought up at his press conference earlier in the day how he wants the Flames to be a more truculent team going forward under a newly developing regime.
But Burke will probably be happy with this: tough guy Brian McGrattan, more prone to throwing fists, scored his first goal of the season. Chris Butler was also originally given credit for the overtime winner, as the Flames got past the Carolina Hurricanes by a final score of 2-1 in the extra frame.
The win caps off an eventful day, to say the least, in Calgary.
However, Burke maintained that the coaching staff, led by bench boss Bob Hartley, is safe. Surely, a win helps a little bit, too.
“I’m very happy with the coaching staff,” Burke said, as per the Calgary Herald.
“I think sometimes when a change like this is made, the instantaneous reaction is, ‘Who’s next?’ There will be no further changes. Even if a new GM comes in, these coaches are going to coach this team through this year. I promised them that.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)