Dec 12, 2013, 11:57 PM EST
Hard to know for sure if the Calgary Flames played with enough truculence Thursday night, but they did get a win.
Yes, the Flames made headlines today when Brian Burke fired former general manager Jay Feaster and assistant GM John Weisbrod. Burke now takes over as the acting GM, and, of course he brought up at his press conference earlier in the day how he wants the Flames to be a more truculent team going forward under a newly developing regime.
But Burke will probably be happy with this: tough guy Brian McGrattan, more prone to throwing fists, scored his first goal of the season. Chris Butler was also originally given credit for the overtime winner, as the Flames got past the Carolina Hurricanes by a final score of 2-1 in the extra frame.
The win caps off an eventful day, to say the least, in Calgary.
However, Burke maintained that the coaching staff, led by bench boss Bob Hartley, is safe. Surely, a win helps a little bit, too.
“I’m very happy with the coaching staff,” Burke said, as per the Calgary Herald.
“I think sometimes when a change like this is made, the instantaneous reaction is, ‘Who’s next?’ There will be no further changes. Even if a new GM comes in, these coaches are going to coach this team through this year. I promised them that.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 14
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 21
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 30
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)