Dec 12, 2013, 11:57 PM EDT
Hard to know for sure if the Calgary Flames played with enough truculence Thursday night, but they did get a win.
Yes, the Flames made headlines today when Brian Burke fired former general manager Jay Feaster and assistant GM John Weisbrod. Burke now takes over as the acting GM, and, of course he brought up at his press conference earlier in the day how he wants the Flames to be a more truculent team going forward under a newly developing regime.
But Burke will probably be happy with this: tough guy Brian McGrattan, more prone to throwing fists, scored his first goal of the season. Chris Butler was also originally given credit for the overtime winner, as the Flames got past the Carolina Hurricanes by a final score of 2-1 in the extra frame.
The win caps off an eventful day, to say the least, in Calgary.
However, Burke maintained that the coaching staff, led by bench boss Bob Hartley, is safe. Surely, a win helps a little bit, too.
“I’m very happy with the coaching staff,” Burke said, as per the Calgary Herald.
“I think sometimes when a change like this is made, the instantaneous reaction is, ‘Who’s next?’ There will be no further changes. Even if a new GM comes in, these coaches are going to coach this team through this year. I promised them that.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 4
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 35
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)