Dec 12, 2013, 11:57 PM EST
Hard to know for sure if the Calgary Flames played with enough truculence Thursday night, but they did get a win.
Yes, the Flames made headlines today when Brian Burke fired former general manager Jay Feaster and assistant GM John Weisbrod. Burke now takes over as the acting GM, and, of course he brought up at his press conference earlier in the day how he wants the Flames to be a more truculent team going forward under a newly developing regime.
But Burke will probably be happy with this: tough guy Brian McGrattan, more prone to throwing fists, scored his first goal of the season. Chris Butler was also originally given credit for the overtime winner, as the Flames got past the Carolina Hurricanes by a final score of 2-1 in the extra frame.
The win caps off an eventful day, to say the least, in Calgary.
However, Burke maintained that the coaching staff, led by bench boss Bob Hartley, is safe. Surely, a win helps a little bit, too.
“I’m very happy with the coaching staff,” Burke said, as per the Calgary Herald.
“I think sometimes when a change like this is made, the instantaneous reaction is, ‘Who’s next?’ There will be no further changes. Even if a new GM comes in, these coaches are going to coach this team through this year. I promised them that.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 1
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 12
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 9
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)