Dec 12, 2013, 5:17 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers have no desire to prove they’re not afraid of the big, bad Boston Bruins. Instead of trying to stand up physically to the Eastern Conference brutes, coach Dallas Eakins wants his players to use their speed and skill tonight at Rexall Place.
“I think it might not be the smartest game plan to try and match them physically,” Eakins said, per NHL.com. “If you don’t match up that way, there’s no use trying to do it. I want to use more of our speed and our smarts against them.
“I’m not sure if they’re as big as they have been in the past. They still have some heavy guys, but I want to get into a game where we’re playing quick with really good puck support, and if we do have to give up the puck, then we’re going to be first to it. To go in and try to match a team like this physically, I don’t think it gives us a chance to win the game.”
The Bruins don’t have a long list of weaknesses, but they have at times had trouble against fast teams. (See: last year’s playoffs, when they nearly lost to the Leafs.)
After a disastrous 4-15-2 start to the season, Edmonton is 7-3-1 in its last 11 games.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)