Dec 12, 2013, 10:39 AM EDT
The concussion suffered by Tampa Bay’s Jonathan Drouin isn’t expected to keep him out of the 2014 World Junior Hockey Championships, according to a Team Canada official.
“I expect that Jonathan at some point, whether that’s in Toronto or Europe, will play,” senior director of hockey operations Scott Salmond said, as per Metro News. “I expect that he’ll be prepared and ready to go by the tournament, for sure.
“But that’s a pretty broad statement without having him evaluated.”
Drouin, the third overall pick at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, was hurt while playing for QMJHL Halifax last Friday on a hit from Quebec’s Adam Erne — an awkward scenario, given Erne is also a Lightning prospect, taken in the same draft as Drouin (33rd overall).
Erne later said he thought “it was a dive,” and wasn’t suspended, which infuriated Halifax GM Cam Russell.
“Yeah, I am angry,” Russell told Yahoo. “I feel that when I was a kid I was brought up by my parents to be held accountable for my actions. If I broke the rules I was punished and I don’t feel that this punishment was enough.”
Drouin is expected to miss at least a week of QMJHL action while recovering from what the club is calling a “mild” concussion.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)