Dec 12, 2013, 10:39 AM EDT
The concussion suffered by Tampa Bay’s Jonathan Drouin isn’t expected to keep him out of the 2014 World Junior Hockey Championships, according to a Team Canada official.
“I expect that Jonathan at some point, whether that’s in Toronto or Europe, will play,” senior director of hockey operations Scott Salmond said, as per Metro News. “I expect that he’ll be prepared and ready to go by the tournament, for sure.
“But that’s a pretty broad statement without having him evaluated.”
Drouin, the third overall pick at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, was hurt while playing for QMJHL Halifax last Friday on a hit from Quebec’s Adam Erne — an awkward scenario, given Erne is also a Lightning prospect, taken in the same draft as Drouin (33rd overall).
Erne later said he thought “it was a dive,” and wasn’t suspended, which infuriated Halifax GM Cam Russell.
“Yeah, I am angry,” Russell told Yahoo. “I feel that when I was a kid I was brought up by my parents to be held accountable for my actions. If I broke the rules I was punished and I don’t feel that this punishment was enough.”
Drouin is expected to miss at least a week of QMJHL action while recovering from what the club is calling a “mild” concussion.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 2
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 8
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)