Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’

Dec 12, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT

Brian Burke

Brian Burke may not have been able to lead the Toronto Maple Leafs to the playoffs, but his experience as that team’s general manager hasn’t changed his hockey philosophy.

If a team wants to win the Stanley Cup, Burke believes it needs to be big. And yes, he even used the word “truculent,” much to delight of everyone watching his press conference today in Calgary following the firing of Flames general manager Jay Feaster and assistant GM John Weisbrod.

For the time being, Burke will play the role of acting Flames GM, in addition to his duties as president of hockey operations. But it’s clear that the next full-time GM — whoever that may be; the search has already begun — will need to have a big-is-better attitude.

Because, according to Burke, the Flames of the present aren’t “big enough” and they’re not “hostile enough.” And while he believes there’s “plenty of room for small players” in today’s NHL, you’d better “put some beef around them.”

“We want black and blue hockey,” he said.

As for his decision to fire Feaster, Burke wouldn’t get into specifics — “I’m not shoveling dirt on people” — but he did suggest the Flames haven’t received “full value” from some of the trades and draft picks they’ve made in recent seasons.

“This is all about having a parade,” said Burke, who was quick to concede that winning a championship may seem like a “distant” goal at this point.

As for head coach Bob Hartley and the rest of the coaching staff, that won’t be changing anytime. Burke said he’s “very happy” with the people behind the Flames’ bench, and he lauded the players for their willingness to work hard.

1. ibieiniid - Dec 12, 2013 at 1:57 PM

i can hear the pages of dictionary.com flipping…

• cweez2 - Dec 12, 2013 at 2:04 PM

no, that’s the sound of you whiffing on that joke attempt

• ibieiniid - Dec 12, 2013 at 2:06 PM

joke? I’m saying that the comment sections of this page are half-filled with morons. it’s true, just wait til something controversial happens and get back to me with your thoughts.

• skr213 - Dec 12, 2013 at 4:15 PM

hey, i resemble that remark …

• ibieiniid - Dec 12, 2013 at 4:32 PM

haha I assume you scrolled down. i prepoligized.

• psousa1 - Dec 12, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Simple – If you had a truck and that you let me borrower it would be a truculent. (I didn’t even have to go to dictionary.com either. All those big words just angry up the blood anyway).

• ibieiniid - Dec 12, 2013 at 2:44 PM

you deserve Larry the Cable Guy-level accolades for that one.

wait, do one for ‘accolades.’

2. freneticgarfieldfan - Dec 12, 2013 at 1:57 PM

same old song, every time

• desertfan - Dec 12, 2013 at 2:34 PM

How about Pierre McGuire??

• skr213 - Dec 12, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Anything to get him out of the commentary game, and I’ll be happy!!

3. sjsharks66 - Dec 12, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I use the dictionary app. It’s 2013 man, dictionary’s were once books?

To be honest, i laughed. I actually did go to check what that meant. I’ll admit it, not good with them fancy speakin’ words.

• ibieiniid - Dec 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM

well now I look like an a-hole for calling anybody that doesn’t know the word a moron (although i probably did before you said that too). apologies to you and apologies in advance to everyone else lol

4. joey4id - Dec 12, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Hahahaha! Here comes the goon squad. Hartley is going to love it. Good ol’Burke rides again. I’m one who’s a big proponent of hiring winners, and this guy did win the SC with the Ducks, but he just seems to move around a lot, and burns a lot of bridges in the process. Maybe his too truculent, but Howard Cosell would be proud of his use of the word “truculent”.

5. blomfeld - Dec 12, 2013 at 2:09 PM

WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING TO BURKE ?

Holy smokes, the guy looks like he hasn’t slept since leaving Vancouver ! What’s going on here ? Don’t ask me why, but I guarantee you that wifey-pooh Jennifer is somehow responsible for this accelerated aging process ! … I just know it man …

anyway, good riddance to Feaster and Whitebread ! … Burke should just do it ‘himself’ now and finally get this team moving … it’s a sad state of affairs these days in the province of Alberta, what with 2 x ‘sickly’ NHL franchises … and it boggles the mind that the ‘money’ behind the scenes (wealthy Canadian Oil Sheiks) have been tolerating this mess for as long as they have ? … so hopefully now ‘things’ will happen … God willing

GO BURKE !!! … MAKE THE FLAMES STRONG & PROUD AGAIN !!!!!!! :)

• joey4id - Dec 12, 2013 at 2:15 PM

And why is his here on the yellowish side instead of more white? Any hair stylists here who can provide some hair treatment tips to Burke to get his hair back to white?

• peterjohnjoseph - Dec 12, 2013 at 2:28 PM

His hair is honestly confusing me. I’ve been staring at the picture since I watched the press conference just trying to understand what’s going on there. It’s like the Donald Trump, just thicker, and less combed over.

He looks like he hasn’t slept.. Did he say anything about not sleeping in the press conference? I wouldn’t know. I couldn’t pay attention to a word he said. I’ll have to rewatch it in a few minutes once I figure out this enigma,

• joey4id - Dec 12, 2013 at 2:41 PM

LMAO!

• bigtexas27 - Dec 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Not so much the color but he is looking more like Doc Brown. Let’s just hope he doesn’t screw over the Lybians

• peterjohnjoseph - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Ok, Joey, I figured it out. Liver disease. That would account for the yellow color to his hair. The length is probably due to his hair starting to fall out in clumps, and to hide the patches of baldness he needs length to comb over them.

And why liver disease you ask? Well, just think of all the drinking that man has had to of done between Toronto and Calgary. Its a wonder his skin isn’t so yellow that he looks like a Simpson’s character, and that we can’t see the outline of a flask in his breast pocket.

Yup, there is a subpoena at my door already.

• joey4id - Dec 13, 2013 at 8:07 AM

LOL! Oh! Yeah! You’re in deep dodo now. He’s a coming after you with the most truculent bad a$$ cowboys in Calgary. :-)

• missthemexpos - Dec 12, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Getting ready to be Santa for the Flames Christmas party.

• withseidelinn - Dec 12, 2013 at 2:20 PM

No song to go with it?

• ibieiniid - Dec 12, 2013 at 2:23 PM

i got u

• mjw9326mjw9326 - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Burkie looks like he needs a haircut, badly and to look less like he has been on an all night binge.
      If that is your idea of a GM who can get you a cup, then I feel sorry for the Flames and their fans.

6. muckleflugga - Dec 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM

blomfeld

correction…

wealthy alberta oil shieks…blue eyed arabs

• blomfeld - Dec 12, 2013 at 2:55 PM

yes friend, we should qualify those oil sheiks as being ‘Albertan’ eh ? …
      in all seriousness though, this is a ‘great’ day for the Flames ! … and I guarantee you that Burke will have them on the road to ‘respectability’ in less time than it takes Feaster to devour a 40 ounce Grade ‘A’ Alberta quarter house steak ! :)

7. desertfan - Dec 12, 2013 at 2:30 PM

“No I am not taking over as GM- Jay is SAFE AND SECURE.
    I will stay out of his side of the business yada yada yada”

From his presser on being hired as President.

• joey4id - Dec 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM

I’m not right too often so allow me to gloat a little; Please. :-)

joey4id – Sep 5, 2013 at 5:37 PM
      Burke won’t be front and center….. Right! And I predict it will not snow in Calgary this winter. :-)

• blomfeld - Dec 12, 2013 at 4:19 PM

well done Joey !

• imleftcoast - Dec 12, 2013 at 4:24 PM

What, has it snowed in Calgary? Burke taking over was as expected as Rob Ford admitting to crack use.

• joey4id - Dec 12, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Nah! Rob Ford never smoked crack.

• mjw9326mjw9326 - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:21 PM

And I can see Russia from Sarah Pali’s house, too.

• mjw9326mjw9326 - Dec 13, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Add that to the check’s in the mail, I never bet on baseball, I will still respect you in the morning, I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky and a good old Wade Phillips quote from when he was Buffalo Bills head coach, “He’s a punt catcher, not a punt returner”.

8. muckleflugga - Dec 12, 2013 at 2:46 PM

ibieiniid

gotta love our neil, great tag on a great song; since blomfeld mentioned oil and you brought in neil young…

neil young and diana krahl are doing four concerts in toronto, winnipeg, regina and…calgary. these in benefit of the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nations people…

money raised will go to a legal defense fund set up to support the ACFN’s legal challenges against oil companies and government bodies, and to uphold rights related to Treaty 8, an agreement signed in 1899 between Queen Victoria and various First Nations bands of Alberta.

Shell Canada was recently given the green light from Ottawa to expand its 7,500 hectare Jackpine oil sands mine to 13,000 hectares. Indigenous and environmental groups foresee damage to the area’s water, land and animals…

right on neil and diana, love ya brother and sister, friends of the earth…

• ibieiniid - Dec 12, 2013 at 2:53 PM

see, the things I post ARE relevant….. whether I knew it or not.

but yeah I should have never even thought about that song. everytime I do, i end up listening to it on repeat all day long. it’s the ONLY song I never get tired of.

• blomfeld - Dec 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM

*** earlier today out on the great plain ***

Blomfeld: who are these men who ride there before us ?

Ten Bears: they may be ‘sick’ soldiers from the fort ?

Crazy Dog: yeah, well they look like idiots to me … let’s kill ‘em right now !

Blomfeld: no brother ! … I believe these men are good … we will talk to them …

*****************************************************************************************

Flugga & Ibidinijad: guys like you are ‘seriously’ a big part of the reason why I frequent this PHT website, which I’ll have you know is the ‘only’ electronic forum that I take part in ! … ‘quality’ hockey news, complemented with a ‘terrific’ sprinkling of history, current events, music, environmental concerns, indigenous issues and so forth … so in the words of Lord Louis Francis Albert Victor Nicholas Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma, KG, GCB, OM, GCSI, GCIE, GCVO, DSO, PC, FRS, I say ‘good show, jolly good show!” … :)

Bonus Fatwa: “anyone who disregards our planet’s health is an idiot”

• ibieiniid - Dec 12, 2013 at 3:48 PM

the fact that that song is even on your radar is why I keep reading your comments. I’ve got nothing on your ad libbing skills. you may be nutty, but I’ve never met a nutty person I haven’t liked. “Lord Louis Francis Albert Victor Nicholas Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma…” COME ON!

9. muckleflugga - Dec 12, 2013 at 3:13 PM

blomfeld

brilliant, i had to read it twice…

talk about laughing, i thought you wrote quarter horse steak…what, we’ve gone french. me, i like alberta prime…from the farm, no steroids, no preservatives…same with the gals

that’s what burke’s looking for, some beef-fed hard-assed cowboys to wrassle and hog-tie those eastern light-in-the loafer prancers, dancers and vixens…

oh the prairie lights are burnin’ bright
    the chinook wind is a-movin’ in
    tomorrow night I’ll be alberta bound…

though I’ve done the best I could
    my old luck ain’t been so good and
    tomorrow night I’ll be alberta bound…

no one-eyed man could e’er forget
    the rocky mountain sunset
    it’s a pleasure just to be alberta bound…

• ibieiniid - Dec 12, 2013 at 3:31 PM

i lmao’d at “some beef-fed hard-assed cowboys to wrassle and hog-tie those eastern light-in-the loafer prancers, dancers and vixens…”

this is one of two places I come across regional Canadian sh**-talk. the other is NHL13 (no, not 14), and i’m far more amused by the non-child version of it that I see here.

• blomfeld - Dec 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM

10. darksidecowboy - Dec 12, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Damn I miss Burkie!

11. davemeisner - Dec 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Dude,
    you need a haircut.

12. skr213 - Dec 12, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I feel bad for Flames fans at this point. Iginla and Kipper are gone, they’ve got the transient hobo running the show, and they’ve got very little in the way of player assets. Sad days at the Saddledome.

13. hazlydose - Dec 12, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Well you know what they say, if you can’t beat em’ might as well punch em’ in the head a few times…

14. mj2sexay - Dec 13, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Someone tell this old fool to get a haircut.

If Jay Feaster ever gets another GM job, the owner that hires him should immediately take his deed to the team and set it on fire. Then poop on the ashes.

15. lionstigersandwingsohmy - Dec 13, 2013 at 11:00 AM

seeing that picture, I wish the camera lens was translucent.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches