Dec 12, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT
In a move that should come as no surprise given Brian Burke is now the acting general manager of the Calgary Flames, Sven Baertschi has been assigned to AHL Abbotsford.
Baertschi has just two goals in 21 games for the Flames this season. The 21-year-old was also publicly, and not gently, criticized by Burke in late September.
“This is a guy, right now, who’s focusing on one area,” Burke said at the time. “And even then, sporadically.”
“There’s three zones on the ice … and I don’t see that he’s learned to play and compete in two of them.”
A prolific scorer in junior, Baertschi was drafted 11th overall in 2011 out of the WHL’s Portland Winterhawks.
But no, he’s not particularly truculent.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 19
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 18
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 28
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)