Dec 12, 2013, 8:15 PM EDT
Crazy night for goalies at Madison Square Garden.
Shortly after the Rangers yanked Henrik Lundqvist after allowing three goals in the opening 12 minutes, Columbus had to replace Curtis McElhinney with Mike McKenna after McElhinney suffered a lower-body injury.
McElhinney, who recently inherited the Jackets’ No. 1 job from injured starter Sergei Bobrovsky, hurt himself at some point during the first period — Columbus made the goaltending switch during the intermission.
The move gave McKenna his Blue Jackets debut. The 30-year-old journeyman hasn’t played a NHL contest in three years (his last game was with the Devils during the 2010-11 campaign) and has spent almost all of this season tending goal for Columbus’ AHL affiliate in Springfield.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)