Dec 12, 2013, 3:06 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have activated Alex Semin off injured reserve after he missed the past 12 games recovering from a concussion.
Semin, 29, last played in a 4-2 defeat in St. Louis on Nov. 16 — a game he was forced from after taking a high hit from Blues defenseman Alex Pietrangelo:
This isn’t Semin’s first experience with concussions. Last season, the ‘Canes shut him down for the final two games of the year with a similar ailment, though circumstances were somewhat different as he actually played a whopping 23:10 against the Islanders (and said he felt “OK” afterward) before Carolina ruled him out.
The Russian sniper had a great first year in Carolina, scoring 44 points in 44 games and earning a five-year, $35 million contract extension.
This season has been a disappointment, however, as Semin has just three goals and nine points through 20 games.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)