Dec 12, 2013, 3:06 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have activated Alex Semin off injured reserve after he missed the past 12 games recovering from a concussion.
Semin, 29, last played in a 4-2 defeat in St. Louis on Nov. 16 — a game he was forced from after taking a high hit from Blues defenseman Alex Pietrangelo:
This isn’t Semin’s first experience with concussions. Last season, the ‘Canes shut him down for the final two games of the year with a similar ailment, though circumstances were somewhat different as he actually played a whopping 23:10 against the Islanders (and said he felt “OK” afterward) before Carolina ruled him out.
The Russian sniper had a great first year in Carolina, scoring 44 points in 44 games and earning a five-year, $35 million contract extension.
This season has been a disappointment, however, as Semin has just three goals and nine points through 20 games.
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 0
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6