Dec 12, 2013, 3:06 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have activated Alex Semin off injured reserve after he missed the past 12 games recovering from a concussion.
Semin, 29, last played in a 4-2 defeat in St. Louis on Nov. 16 — a game he was forced from after taking a high hit from Blues defenseman Alex Pietrangelo:
This isn’t Semin’s first experience with concussions. Last season, the ‘Canes shut him down for the final two games of the year with a similar ailment, though circumstances were somewhat different as he actually played a whopping 23:10 against the Islanders (and said he felt “OK” afterward) before Carolina ruled him out.
The Russian sniper had a great first year in Carolina, scoring 44 points in 44 games and earning a five-year, $35 million contract extension.
This season has been a disappointment, however, as Semin has just three goals and nine points through 20 games.
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 24
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)