Dec 12, 2013, 3:06 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have activated Alex Semin off injured reserve after he missed the past 12 games recovering from a concussion.
Semin, 29, last played in a 4-2 defeat in St. Louis on Nov. 16 — a game he was forced from after taking a high hit from Blues defenseman Alex Pietrangelo:
This isn’t Semin’s first experience with concussions. Last season, the ‘Canes shut him down for the final two games of the year with a similar ailment, though circumstances were somewhat different as he actually played a whopping 23:10 against the Islanders (and said he felt “OK” afterward) before Carolina ruled him out.
The Russian sniper had a great first year in Carolina, scoring 44 points in 44 games and earning a five-year, $35 million contract extension.
This season has been a disappointment, however, as Semin has just three goals and nine points through 20 games.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)