Dec 11, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
Stephen Weiss‘ nightmare season might soon get worse.
The Detroit center, who has just four points this year and is mired in a 20-game goalless sump, re-injured his groin during Tuesday’s 3-2 shootout loss to Florida and could be out of the lineup for a while.
“It went south here pretty quickly,” Weiss told MLive.com. “I’m concerned; anytime you’re not in practice and able to skate, it’s not a good feeling.
“So I’m just going to see what the tests say.”
Weiss will be held out of Thursday’s game in Tampa and undergo tests when the club returns to Detroit following the game (the Wings take on Pittsburgh at the Joe on Saturday.)
Weiss, 30, is in the first of a five-year, $24.5 million deal signed with Detroit this past summer. He’s already missed six games this year with a groin issue and had the same problem hamper him throughout the preseason.
According to MLive’s Ansar Khan, Weiss will “in all likelihood” miss more than just the Lightning game with this latest groin setback. Johan Franzen is slated to move to center to replace Weiss in the lineup.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 2
- In praise of John Tavares 11
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 20
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36