Dec 11, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
Stephen Weiss‘ nightmare season might soon get worse.
The Detroit center, who has just four points this year and is mired in a 20-game goalless sump, re-injured his groin during Tuesday’s 3-2 shootout loss to Florida and could be out of the lineup for a while.
“It went south here pretty quickly,” Weiss told MLive.com. “I’m concerned; anytime you’re not in practice and able to skate, it’s not a good feeling.
“So I’m just going to see what the tests say.”
Weiss will be held out of Thursday’s game in Tampa and undergo tests when the club returns to Detroit following the game (the Wings take on Pittsburgh at the Joe on Saturday.)
Weiss, 30, is in the first of a five-year, $24.5 million deal signed with Detroit this past summer. He’s already missed six games this year with a groin issue and had the same problem hamper him throughout the preseason.
According to MLive’s Ansar Khan, Weiss will “in all likelihood” miss more than just the Lightning game with this latest groin setback. Johan Franzen is slated to move to center to replace Weiss in the lineup.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)