Dec 11, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
Stephen Weiss‘ nightmare season might soon get worse.
The Detroit center, who has just four points this year and is mired in a 20-game goalless sump, re-injured his groin during Tuesday’s 3-2 shootout loss to Florida and could be out of the lineup for a while.
“It went south here pretty quickly,” Weiss told MLive.com. “I’m concerned; anytime you’re not in practice and able to skate, it’s not a good feeling.
“So I’m just going to see what the tests say.”
Weiss will be held out of Thursday’s game in Tampa and undergo tests when the club returns to Detroit following the game (the Wings take on Pittsburgh at the Joe on Saturday.)
Weiss, 30, is in the first of a five-year, $24.5 million deal signed with Detroit this past summer. He’s already missed six games this year with a groin issue and had the same problem hamper him throughout the preseason.
According to MLive’s Ansar Khan, Weiss will “in all likelihood” miss more than just the Lightning game with this latest groin setback. Johan Franzen is slated to move to center to replace Weiss in the lineup.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)