Dec 11, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
Stephen Weiss‘ nightmare season might soon get worse.
The Detroit center, who has just four points this year and is mired in a 20-game goalless sump, re-injured his groin during Tuesday’s 3-2 shootout loss to Florida and could be out of the lineup for a while.
“It went south here pretty quickly,” Weiss told MLive.com. “I’m concerned; anytime you’re not in practice and able to skate, it’s not a good feeling.
“So I’m just going to see what the tests say.”
Weiss will be held out of Thursday’s game in Tampa and undergo tests when the club returns to Detroit following the game (the Wings take on Pittsburgh at the Joe on Saturday.)
Weiss, 30, is in the first of a five-year, $24.5 million deal signed with Detroit this past summer. He’s already missed six games this year with a groin issue and had the same problem hamper him throughout the preseason.
According to MLive’s Ansar Khan, Weiss will “in all likelihood” miss more than just the Lightning game with this latest groin setback. Johan Franzen is slated to move to center to replace Weiss in the lineup.
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight vs. B’s 0
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 20
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 83
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 96
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)