Dec 11, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
Stephen Weiss‘ nightmare season might soon get worse.
The Detroit center, who has just four points this year and is mired in a 20-game goalless sump, re-injured his groin during Tuesday’s 3-2 shootout loss to Florida and could be out of the lineup for a while.
“It went south here pretty quickly,” Weiss told MLive.com. “I’m concerned; anytime you’re not in practice and able to skate, it’s not a good feeling.
“So I’m just going to see what the tests say.”
Weiss will be held out of Thursday’s game in Tampa and undergo tests when the club returns to Detroit following the game (the Wings take on Pittsburgh at the Joe on Saturday.)
Weiss, 30, is in the first of a five-year, $24.5 million deal signed with Detroit this past summer. He’s already missed six games this year with a groin issue and had the same problem hamper him throughout the preseason.
According to MLive’s Ansar Khan, Weiss will “in all likelihood” miss more than just the Lightning game with this latest groin setback. Johan Franzen is slated to move to center to replace Weiss in the lineup.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 31
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)