Dec 11, 2013, 1:13 PM EDT
The slumping Colorado Avalanche got some bad news on the injury front Tuesday, as Patrick Roy announced Alex Tanguay suffered a setback in recovery from a knee injury and hurt his hip in the process.
“Right now, it’s not good,” Roy told the Denver Post. “He had a setback. We don’t know when he’ll be back.”
Tanguay, 34, is out indefinitely and might require surgery.
Acquired from Calgary this offseason, Tanguay rejoined an Avalanche organization with which he enjoyed great success (he captured the Stanley Cup with Colorado in 2001, earned a Calder nomination in 2000 and made the All-Star team in 2004.)
The return to Denver seemed to spark the veteran, as Tanguay started the season by scoring nine points in his first 13 games — but things went south in mid-November when he suffered the knee injury, one that’s kept him out of Colorado’s last 16 games.
According to the Post, the setback occurred after Tanguay had made good progress with the knee and was contemplating a return, possibly by the end of this week.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 29
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)