Dec 11, 2013, 1:13 PM EDT
The slumping Colorado Avalanche got some bad news on the injury front Tuesday, as Patrick Roy announced Alex Tanguay suffered a setback in recovery from a knee injury and hurt his hip in the process.
“Right now, it’s not good,” Roy told the Denver Post. “He had a setback. We don’t know when he’ll be back.”
Tanguay, 34, is out indefinitely and might require surgery.
Acquired from Calgary this offseason, Tanguay rejoined an Avalanche organization with which he enjoyed great success (he captured the Stanley Cup with Colorado in 2001, earned a Calder nomination in 2000 and made the All-Star team in 2004.)
The return to Denver seemed to spark the veteran, as Tanguay started the season by scoring nine points in his first 13 games — but things went south in mid-November when he suffered the knee injury, one that’s kept him out of Colorado’s last 16 games.
According to the Post, the setback occurred after Tanguay had made good progress with the knee and was contemplating a return, possibly by the end of this week.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 2
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 15
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)