Dec 11, 2013, 1:13 PM EDT
The slumping Colorado Avalanche got some bad news on the injury front Tuesday, as Patrick Roy announced Alex Tanguay suffered a setback in recovery from a knee injury and hurt his hip in the process.
“Right now, it’s not good,” Roy told the Denver Post. “He had a setback. We don’t know when he’ll be back.”
Tanguay, 34, is out indefinitely and might require surgery.
Acquired from Calgary this offseason, Tanguay rejoined an Avalanche organization with which he enjoyed great success (he captured the Stanley Cup with Colorado in 2001, earned a Calder nomination in 2000 and made the All-Star team in 2004.)
The return to Denver seemed to spark the veteran, as Tanguay started the season by scoring nine points in his first 13 games — but things went south in mid-November when he suffered the knee injury, one that’s kept him out of Colorado’s last 16 games.
According to the Post, the setback occurred after Tanguay had made good progress with the knee and was contemplating a return, possibly by the end of this week.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)