Dec 11, 2013, 1:13 PM EDT
The slumping Colorado Avalanche got some bad news on the injury front Tuesday, as Patrick Roy announced Alex Tanguay suffered a setback in recovery from a knee injury and hurt his hip in the process.
“Right now, it’s not good,” Roy told the Denver Post. “He had a setback. We don’t know when he’ll be back.”
Tanguay, 34, is out indefinitely and might require surgery.
Acquired from Calgary this offseason, Tanguay rejoined an Avalanche organization with which he enjoyed great success (he captured the Stanley Cup with Colorado in 2001, earned a Calder nomination in 2000 and made the All-Star team in 2004.)
The return to Denver seemed to spark the veteran, as Tanguay started the season by scoring nine points in his first 13 games — but things went south in mid-November when he suffered the knee injury, one that’s kept him out of Colorado’s last 16 games.
According to the Post, the setback occurred after Tanguay had made good progress with the knee and was contemplating a return, possibly by the end of this week.
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 0
- Selanne offers harsh criticism of Boudreau’s handling of him 8
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 18
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 22
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 51
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)