Dec 11, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
A new candidate has emerged in Buffalo’s search for a new general manager — Mike Futa, the Kings’ director of amateur scouting.
The Sabres have asked L.A. permission to interview Futa for the gig, according to TSN’s Bob McKenzie. Futa, who has served in the Kings’ scouting department since 2007, has overseen drafts that include the 2008 haul (Drew Doughty, Slava Voynov, Andrei Loktionov) and a solid 2009 class (Brayden Schenn, Kyle Clifford, Jordan Nolan, Linden Vey).
New Sabres president Pat LaFontaine has been active in his search for a new GM. Futa joins a lengthy list of candidates that includes Ottawa assistant Tim Murray, Nashville assistant Paul Fenton and Penguins assistant Jason Botterill.
Buffalo also made overtures to former GM Rick Dudley, who opted to stick as Marc Bergevin’s assistant in Montreal and re-upped with the Habs.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 23
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 50
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)