Dec 11, 2013, 10:45 AM EST
Another NHLer could be on his way to the World Junior Hockey Championships.
Filip Forsberg, Nashville’s prized young prospect, is reportedly in the mix to join Team Sweden for the annual tournament, according to Preds head coach Barry Trotz.
“If he’s ready to come back and play, him and his agent have been offered the chance to play for Sweden,” Trotz told The Game radio 102.5 Nashville, as per Section 303. “We need him back playing, whatever level that may be, a the World Junior Championships, for us or for Milwaukee. He’s a young player that needs to be playing.”
Forsberg, currently sidelined with an upper-body injury, has had a tough go with the Preds this season. Injuries and spells as a healthy scratch have limited him to just 12 games — in which he’s scored five points — and, earlier this week, Trotz said Forsberg still needs to learn the intricacies of the NHL game.
“He’s a tremendous young kid. He has a lot of ability. He has a long way to go to play in the National Hockey League on a regular basis. I shouldn’t say play in the National Hockey League — to produce in the National Hockey League,” Trotz told The Tennessean. “I think he has a lot of great tools, exceptional hands and is a quality young man, but there’s still a long way for him to go.”
Forsberg is a decorated performer at the World Juniors, having won silver in ’13 and gold at the ’12 tourney. He was named as one of the three All-Star forwards at the ’13 tournament, along with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Calgary prospect John Gaudreau.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 35
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)