Dec 11, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
Another NHLer could be on his way to the World Junior Hockey Championships.
Filip Forsberg, Nashville’s prized young prospect, is reportedly in the mix to join Team Sweden for the annual tournament, according to Preds head coach Barry Trotz.
“If he’s ready to come back and play, him and his agent have been offered the chance to play for Sweden,” Trotz told The Game radio 102.5 Nashville, as per Section 303. “We need him back playing, whatever level that may be, a the World Junior Championships, for us or for Milwaukee. He’s a young player that needs to be playing.”
Forsberg, currently sidelined with an upper-body injury, has had a tough go with the Preds this season. Injuries and spells as a healthy scratch have limited him to just 12 games — in which he’s scored five points — and, earlier this week, Trotz said Forsberg still needs to learn the intricacies of the NHL game.
“He’s a tremendous young kid. He has a lot of ability. He has a long way to go to play in the National Hockey League on a regular basis. I shouldn’t say play in the National Hockey League — to produce in the National Hockey League,” Trotz told The Tennessean. “I think he has a lot of great tools, exceptional hands and is a quality young man, but there’s still a long way for him to go.”
Forsberg is a decorated performer at the World Juniors, having won silver in ’13 and gold at the ’12 tourney. He was named as one of the three All-Star forwards at the ’13 tournament, along with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Calgary prospect John Gaudreau.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 3
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 6
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)