Dec 11, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
Another NHLer could be on his way to the World Junior Hockey Championships.
Filip Forsberg, Nashville’s prized young prospect, is reportedly in the mix to join Team Sweden for the annual tournament, according to Preds head coach Barry Trotz.
“If he’s ready to come back and play, him and his agent have been offered the chance to play for Sweden,” Trotz told The Game radio 102.5 Nashville, as per Section 303. “We need him back playing, whatever level that may be, a the World Junior Championships, for us or for Milwaukee. He’s a young player that needs to be playing.”
Forsberg, currently sidelined with an upper-body injury, has had a tough go with the Preds this season. Injuries and spells as a healthy scratch have limited him to just 12 games — in which he’s scored five points — and, earlier this week, Trotz said Forsberg still needs to learn the intricacies of the NHL game.
“He’s a tremendous young kid. He has a lot of ability. He has a long way to go to play in the National Hockey League on a regular basis. I shouldn’t say play in the National Hockey League — to produce in the National Hockey League,” Trotz told The Tennessean. “I think he has a lot of great tools, exceptional hands and is a quality young man, but there’s still a long way for him to go.”
Forsberg is a decorated performer at the World Juniors, having won silver in ’13 and gold at the ’12 tourney. He was named as one of the three All-Star forwards at the ’13 tournament, along with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Calgary prospect John Gaudreau.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)