Dec 11, 2013, 10:45 AM EST
Another NHLer could be on his way to the World Junior Hockey Championships.
Filip Forsberg, Nashville’s prized young prospect, is reportedly in the mix to join Team Sweden for the annual tournament, according to Preds head coach Barry Trotz.
“If he’s ready to come back and play, him and his agent have been offered the chance to play for Sweden,” Trotz told The Game radio 102.5 Nashville, as per Section 303. “We need him back playing, whatever level that may be, a the World Junior Championships, for us or for Milwaukee. He’s a young player that needs to be playing.”
Forsberg, currently sidelined with an upper-body injury, has had a tough go with the Preds this season. Injuries and spells as a healthy scratch have limited him to just 12 games — in which he’s scored five points — and, earlier this week, Trotz said Forsberg still needs to learn the intricacies of the NHL game.
“He’s a tremendous young kid. He has a lot of ability. He has a long way to go to play in the National Hockey League on a regular basis. I shouldn’t say play in the National Hockey League — to produce in the National Hockey League,” Trotz told The Tennessean. “I think he has a lot of great tools, exceptional hands and is a quality young man, but there’s still a long way for him to go.”
Forsberg is a decorated performer at the World Juniors, having won silver in ’13 and gold at the ’12 tourney. He was named as one of the three All-Star forwards at the ’13 tournament, along with Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Calgary prospect John Gaudreau.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2