Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 AM EST
The New York Islanders managed to eke out a 3-2 shootout win against the San Jose Sharks last night, but that was their first victory in nearly a month. They are nine points back in the playoff race after being viewed as a contender going into the 2013-14 campaign.
It’s the sort of situation that often leads to a coaching change, but that might not be the outcome this time. For all the Islanders’ issues, GM Garth Snow doesn’t feel that Capuano is the problem, according to a New York Post source.
The reported belief within the Islanders is that the team’s fall from grace has more to do with unfortunate injuries. They have been trying to get by without defensemen Brian Strait and Lubomir Visnovsky as well as number one goaltender Evgeni Nabokov. Snow is also apparently pleased with the Islanders’ effort level and takes that as a sign that Capuano hasn’t lost control of the team.
That meshes well with Nabokov’s statement last week that the Islanders have maintained a strong work ethic, but are dealing with confidence issues. He predicted that a hard fought win could turn this team around and perhaps last night’s effort will spark such a resurgence.
At the same time, there have also been reports suggesting that Peter Laviolette might end up being Capuano’s successor.
The Islanders have a day off before playing in Phoenix on Thursday.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (64)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)