Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 AM EDT
The New York Islanders managed to eke out a 3-2 shootout win against the San Jose Sharks last night, but that was their first victory in nearly a month. They are nine points back in the playoff race after being viewed as a contender going into the 2013-14 campaign.
It’s the sort of situation that often leads to a coaching change, but that might not be the outcome this time. For all the Islanders’ issues, GM Garth Snow doesn’t feel that Capuano is the problem, according to a New York Post source.
The reported belief within the Islanders is that the team’s fall from grace has more to do with unfortunate injuries. They have been trying to get by without defensemen Brian Strait and Lubomir Visnovsky as well as number one goaltender Evgeni Nabokov. Snow is also apparently pleased with the Islanders’ effort level and takes that as a sign that Capuano hasn’t lost control of the team.
That meshes well with Nabokov’s statement last week that the Islanders have maintained a strong work ethic, but are dealing with confidence issues. He predicted that a hard fought win could turn this team around and perhaps last night’s effort will spark such a resurgence.
At the same time, there have also been reports suggesting that Peter Laviolette might end up being Capuano’s successor.
The Islanders have a day off before playing in Phoenix on Thursday.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)