Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 AM EDT
The New York Islanders managed to eke out a 3-2 shootout win against the San Jose Sharks last night, but that was their first victory in nearly a month. They are nine points back in the playoff race after being viewed as a contender going into the 2013-14 campaign.
It’s the sort of situation that often leads to a coaching change, but that might not be the outcome this time. For all the Islanders’ issues, GM Garth Snow doesn’t feel that Capuano is the problem, according to a New York Post source.
The reported belief within the Islanders is that the team’s fall from grace has more to do with unfortunate injuries. They have been trying to get by without defensemen Brian Strait and Lubomir Visnovsky as well as number one goaltender Evgeni Nabokov. Snow is also apparently pleased with the Islanders’ effort level and takes that as a sign that Capuano hasn’t lost control of the team.
That meshes well with Nabokov’s statement last week that the Islanders have maintained a strong work ethic, but are dealing with confidence issues. He predicted that a hard fought win could turn this team around and perhaps last night’s effort will spark such a resurgence.
At the same time, there have also been reports suggesting that Peter Laviolette might end up being Capuano’s successor.
The Islanders have a day off before playing in Phoenix on Thursday.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)