Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 AM EDT
The New York Islanders managed to eke out a 3-2 shootout win against the San Jose Sharks last night, but that was their first victory in nearly a month. They are nine points back in the playoff race after being viewed as a contender going into the 2013-14 campaign.
It’s the sort of situation that often leads to a coaching change, but that might not be the outcome this time. For all the Islanders’ issues, GM Garth Snow doesn’t feel that Capuano is the problem, according to a New York Post source.
The reported belief within the Islanders is that the team’s fall from grace has more to do with unfortunate injuries. They have been trying to get by without defensemen Brian Strait and Lubomir Visnovsky as well as number one goaltender Evgeni Nabokov. Snow is also apparently pleased with the Islanders’ effort level and takes that as a sign that Capuano hasn’t lost control of the team.
That meshes well with Nabokov’s statement last week that the Islanders have maintained a strong work ethic, but are dealing with confidence issues. He predicted that a hard fought win could turn this team around and perhaps last night’s effort will spark such a resurgence.
At the same time, there have also been reports suggesting that Peter Laviolette might end up being Capuano’s successor.
The Islanders have a day off before playing in Phoenix on Thursday.
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 12
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 13
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)