Dec 11, 2013, 6:48 PM EST
Alain Vigneault hasn’t been happy with the Rangers defense this season and on Wednesday, he did something about it.
The Rangers recalled Dylan McIlrath from AHL Hartford, according to the New York Daily News. McIlrath, 21, was the club’s first-round pick (1oth overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft and has appeared in 23 games for the Wolf Pack this season, scoring three goals and seven points.
The towering defenseman (6-foot-5, 215 pounds) spent all of last year in the AHL but felt he had “a legitimate shot” of making the NHL this season. A tough, physical player that isn’t afraid to fight, McIlrath was dropped from the Rangers just prior to the end of training camp.
It’s not surprising Vigneault and the Rangers brass are giving McIlrath a look. The head coach carved up his defense last week, saying the unit has been disappointing aside from Ryan McDonagh, the only blueliner than Vigneault felt had played beyond expectations this year.
The McIlrath recall also likely has to do with the health of Marc Staal, who has missed the last few games with a concussion. It’s worth noting this promotion comes a day after the Blueshirts brought Arron Asham back into the fold, as Vigneault said the lineup needed more grit and toughness.
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 0
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 16
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 5
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 73
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (74)