Dec 11, 2013, 6:48 PM EDT
Alain Vigneault hasn’t been happy with the Rangers defense this season and on Wednesday, he did something about it.
The Rangers recalled Dylan McIlrath from AHL Hartford, according to the New York Daily News. McIlrath, 21, was the club’s first-round pick (1oth overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft and has appeared in 23 games for the Wolf Pack this season, scoring three goals and seven points.
The towering defenseman (6-foot-5, 215 pounds) spent all of last year in the AHL but felt he had “a legitimate shot” of making the NHL this season. A tough, physical player that isn’t afraid to fight, McIlrath was dropped from the Rangers just prior to the end of training camp.
It’s not surprising Vigneault and the Rangers brass are giving McIlrath a look. The head coach carved up his defense last week, saying the unit has been disappointing aside from Ryan McDonagh, the only blueliner than Vigneault felt had played beyond expectations this year.
The McIlrath recall also likely has to do with the health of Marc Staal, who has missed the last few games with a concussion. It’s worth noting this promotion comes a day after the Blueshirts brought Arron Asham back into the fold, as Vigneault said the lineup needed more grit and toughness.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)