Dec 11, 2013, 6:48 PM EDT
Alain Vigneault hasn’t been happy with the Rangers defense this season and on Wednesday, he did something about it.
The Rangers recalled Dylan McIlrath from AHL Hartford, according to the New York Daily News. McIlrath, 21, was the club’s first-round pick (1oth overall) at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft and has appeared in 23 games for the Wolf Pack this season, scoring three goals and seven points.
The towering defenseman (6-foot-5, 215 pounds) spent all of last year in the AHL but felt he had “a legitimate shot” of making the NHL this season. A tough, physical player that isn’t afraid to fight, McIlrath was dropped from the Rangers just prior to the end of training camp.
It’s not surprising Vigneault and the Rangers brass are giving McIlrath a look. The head coach carved up his defense last week, saying the unit has been disappointing aside from Ryan McDonagh, the only blueliner than Vigneault felt had played beyond expectations this year.
The McIlrath recall also likely has to do with the health of Marc Staal, who has missed the last few games with a concussion. It’s worth noting this promotion comes a day after the Blueshirts brought Arron Asham back into the fold, as Vigneault said the lineup needed more grit and toughness.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 0
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 9
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)