Dec 11, 2013, 4:33 PM EDT
The interwebs got a good laugh last night at the expense of the poor BB&T Center maintenance crew, who as you can see had a bit of trouble fixing the glass during the latter stages of the Florida Panthers’ game versus Detroit.
What exactly happened there? The South Florida Sun-Sentinel spoke to Matt Sacco, the Panthers’ chief communications officer, for an explanation:
[Sacco] said that the maintenance crew was on the way to the ice with the replacement glass but they dropped it. It cracked, so with the refs rushing them, they hurriedly put up some new glass but didn’t have time to take some of the wrapper off, so for the final few minutes of regulation the fans who sat behind the glass couldn’t see the ice. When regulation expired, the crew installed a see-through plexiglass piece. Also, Sacco said Panthers ushers let the people who had the obstructed view change to nearby seats.
Not actually sure why people made such a big deal out of this. It’s pretty clearly not plywood they put up, as so many seemed to think it was. But we suppose it’s easy to pick on the Panthers these days, what with all the empty seats at the BB&T Center.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 27
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)