Dec 11, 2013, 4:33 PM EDT
The interwebs got a good laugh last night at the expense of the poor BB&T Center maintenance crew, who as you can see had a bit of trouble fixing the glass during the latter stages of the Florida Panthers’ game versus Detroit.
What exactly happened there? The South Florida Sun-Sentinel spoke to Matt Sacco, the Panthers’ chief communications officer, for an explanation:
[Sacco] said that the maintenance crew was on the way to the ice with the replacement glass but they dropped it. It cracked, so with the refs rushing them, they hurriedly put up some new glass but didn’t have time to take some of the wrapper off, so for the final few minutes of regulation the fans who sat behind the glass couldn’t see the ice. When regulation expired, the crew installed a see-through plexiglass piece. Also, Sacco said Panthers ushers let the people who had the obstructed view change to nearby seats.
Not actually sure why people made such a big deal out of this. It’s pretty clearly not plywood they put up, as so many seemed to think it was. But we suppose it’s easy to pick on the Panthers these days, what with all the empty seats at the BB&T Center.
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 0
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 15
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 21
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 14
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (55)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)