Dec 11, 2013, 7:48 PM EST
At 16:31 of the second period, Panik hit Alzner in the neutral zone, driving him into the boards. Alzner was temporarily shaken up, but returned in the third period while Panik was assessed a five-minute boarding major on the play.
“Just as Alzner dumps the puck and while in a very vulnerable position at a dangerous distance from the boards, Panik checks him in the numbers, causing a violent collision with the boards,” the NHL’s Department of Player Safety explained.
Here’s the video:
Mitigating factors for the suspension length included Alzner going uninjured on the play, and Panik’s clean history with regards to player discipline.
Panik will now miss Tampa Bay’s next two games — Thursday against Detroit, Saturday vs. New Jersey — eligible to return to the lineup on Sunday (also against the Red Wings.) Additionally, Panik will forfeit $7,589.74 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 0
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 7
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)