Dec 11, 2013, 7:48 PM EDT
At 16:31 of the second period, Panik hit Alzner in the neutral zone, driving him into the boards. Alzner was temporarily shaken up, but returned in the third period while Panik was assessed a five-minute boarding major on the play.
“Just as Alzner dumps the puck and while in a very vulnerable position at a dangerous distance from the boards, Panik checks him in the numbers, causing a violent collision with the boards,” the NHL’s Department of Player Safety explained.
Here’s the video:
Mitigating factors for the suspension length included Alzner going uninjured on the play, and Panik’s clean history with regards to player discipline.
Panik will now miss Tampa Bay’s next two games — Thursday against Detroit, Saturday vs. New Jersey — eligible to return to the lineup on Sunday (also against the Red Wings.) Additionally, Panik will forfeit $7,589.74 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)