Dec 11, 2013, 7:48 PM EDT
At 16:31 of the second period, Panik hit Alzner in the neutral zone, driving him into the boards. Alzner was temporarily shaken up, but returned in the third period while Panik was assessed a five-minute boarding major on the play.
“Just as Alzner dumps the puck and while in a very vulnerable position at a dangerous distance from the boards, Panik checks him in the numbers, causing a violent collision with the boards,” the NHL’s Department of Player Safety explained.
Here’s the video:
Mitigating factors for the suspension length included Alzner going uninjured on the play, and Panik’s clean history with regards to player discipline.
Panik will now miss Tampa Bay’s next two games — Thursday against Detroit, Saturday vs. New Jersey — eligible to return to the lineup on Sunday (also against the Red Wings.) Additionally, Panik will forfeit $7,589.74 in salary to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 7
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 11
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 39
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 62
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)