Dec 11, 2013, 1:36 AM EST
Heading into the third period down 2-0 against the San Jose Sharks, it looked like the New York Islanders’ losing streak would extend to 11 games. John Tavares and Kyle Okposo – two players who’ve been consistent while others have fallen apart – wouldn’t let that happen on Tuesday.
Instead, they powered a comeback that ultimately resulted in a 3-2 shootout win thanks to a clincher by (wait for it): Okposo.
Both homegrown Islander talents had two points apiece tonight (Okposo with a goal and an assist, Tavares with two helpers) while Thomas Vanek found the net for the second straight game.*
While that trio of scorers have often been the lone bright spot for the Isles, their goaltending has been abysmal lately, but Kevin Poulin put up stellar numbers tonight. He stopped 46 out of 48 shots, including a flawless first period as San Jose dominated play with an 18-3 shot advantage.
The Islanders can feel that mixture of elation and relief while the Sharks must feel extreme frustration. The Sharks are on a four-game losing streak despite carrying much of the play (They’ve been outscored 15-7 [not counting the Isles’ shootout score] in this four-game skid despite winning the shots battle 156-106).
Maybe San Jose should use a mantra that was likely uttered in the Islanders’ locker room a lot lately: something has to give.
* – For all that’s been said about the Vanek trade failing, he’s been productive with 11 points in 15 games since being traded. If anything, the problems with that swap revolve around context (from the picks given up, to the possibility that Vanek might leave in free agency and the notion that the team strengthened a strength instead of improving on a weak area) instead of Vanek’s scoring.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
A truly weird scene for Florida’s goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
Easy, if uninspired, win for Tampa Bay.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:39 PM EST
He fought Marcus Foligno on Tuesday.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Tough start to Tuesday for goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:18 PM EST
Montoya is currently trying to gut it out.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:06 PM EST
A contentious game in Columbus.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
They traded for him on Monday.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:55 PM EST
Vancouver faces San Jose tonight.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:29 PM EST
He says he’s happy to be in New Jersey.
Mar 3, 2015, 6:29 PM EST
Could we see an upset or a blowout?
Mar 3, 2015, 5:33 PM EST
Incident occurred during TSN’s trade deadline day coverage.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:41 PM EST
Recapping the trade deadline.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:38 PM EST
“Shane’s a pro, he’ll get through it.”
Mar 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EST
Flames captain was holding out hope for a “tiny chance” he could keep playing.
Mar 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EST
Making it “pretty cool to be a part of.”
Mar 3, 2015, 2:17 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 3, 2015, 2:16 PM EST
He didn’t sign with them to lose.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:32 PM EST
Ex-Dallas winger could open up playing alongside the Detroit captain.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:10 PM EST
“Is it his fault we’re losing? No. Did he build this team? No.”
Mar 3, 2015, 12:28 PM EST
“Matt’s priority is to remain in Anaheim for many years to come. Hopefully we can make that happen.”
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)