Dec 11, 2013, 1:36 AM EDT
Heading into the third period down 2-0 against the San Jose Sharks, it looked like the New York Islanders’ losing streak would extend to 11 games. John Tavares and Kyle Okposo – two players who’ve been consistent while others have fallen apart – wouldn’t let that happen on Tuesday.
Instead, they powered a comeback that ultimately resulted in a 3-2 shootout win thanks to a clincher by (wait for it): Okposo.
Both homegrown Islander talents had two points apiece tonight (Okposo with a goal and an assist, Tavares with two helpers) while Thomas Vanek found the net for the second straight game.*
While that trio of scorers have often been the lone bright spot for the Isles, their goaltending has been abysmal lately, but Kevin Poulin put up stellar numbers tonight. He stopped 46 out of 48 shots, including a flawless first period as San Jose dominated play with an 18-3 shot advantage.
The Islanders can feel that mixture of elation and relief while the Sharks must feel extreme frustration. The Sharks are on a four-game losing streak despite carrying much of the play (They’ve been outscored 15-7 [not counting the Isles' shootout score] in this four-game skid despite winning the shots battle 156-106).
Maybe San Jose should use a mantra that was likely uttered in the Islanders’ locker room a lot lately: something has to give.
* – For all that’s been said about the Vanek trade failing, he’s been productive with 11 points in 15 games since being traded. If anything, the problems with that swap revolve around context (from the picks given up, to the possibility that Vanek might leave in free agency and the notion that the team strengthened a strength instead of improving on a weak area) instead of Vanek’s scoring.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)