Dec 11, 2013, 1:36 AM EDT
Heading into the third period down 2-0 against the San Jose Sharks, it looked like the New York Islanders’ losing streak would extend to 11 games. John Tavares and Kyle Okposo – two players who’ve been consistent while others have fallen apart – wouldn’t let that happen on Tuesday.
Instead, they powered a comeback that ultimately resulted in a 3-2 shootout win thanks to a clincher by (wait for it): Okposo.
Both homegrown Islander talents had two points apiece tonight (Okposo with a goal and an assist, Tavares with two helpers) while Thomas Vanek found the net for the second straight game.*
While that trio of scorers have often been the lone bright spot for the Isles, their goaltending has been abysmal lately, but Kevin Poulin put up stellar numbers tonight. He stopped 46 out of 48 shots, including a flawless first period as San Jose dominated play with an 18-3 shot advantage.
The Islanders can feel that mixture of elation and relief while the Sharks must feel extreme frustration. The Sharks are on a four-game losing streak despite carrying much of the play (They’ve been outscored 15-7 [not counting the Isles' shootout score] in this four-game skid despite winning the shots battle 156-106).
Maybe San Jose should use a mantra that was likely uttered in the Islanders’ locker room a lot lately: something has to give.
* – For all that’s been said about the Vanek trade failing, he’s been productive with 11 points in 15 games since being traded. If anything, the problems with that swap revolve around context (from the picks given up, to the possibility that Vanek might leave in free agency and the notion that the team strengthened a strength instead of improving on a weak area) instead of Vanek’s scoring.
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 11
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 20
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 31
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)