Dec 11, 2013, 1:25 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs won’t have Dion Phaneuf for the next two games — and as we wrote yesterday, it should be interesting to see how they fare without their suspended captain — but they will have forward Joffrey Lupul back in the lineup tonight versus visiting Los Angeles.
Lupul, who’s missed the last seven games with a groin injury, has eight goals and seven assists in 22 games this season. The 30-year-old should be a nice addition for a team with just two regulation wins in its last 17 games. The Leafs do remain four points clear of the Rangers in the race for the final wild card spot in the Eastern Conference, but there’s obvious concern about the team’s play.
In one of the more remarkable statistics in the NHL, Toronto has been outshot in all but four of its 31 games. On average, the Leafs are surrendering a league-high 37.1 shots per contest, over 10 shots more than they’re averaging themselves (26.7).
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 3
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 13
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)