Dec 11, 2013, 1:25 PM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs won’t have Dion Phaneuf for the next two games — and as we wrote yesterday, it should be interesting to see how they fare without their suspended captain — but they will have forward Joffrey Lupul back in the lineup tonight versus visiting Los Angeles.
Lupul, who’s missed the last seven games with a groin injury, has eight goals and seven assists in 22 games this season. The 30-year-old should be a nice addition for a team with just two regulation wins in its last 17 games. The Leafs do remain four points clear of the Rangers in the race for the final wild card spot in the Eastern Conference, but there’s obvious concern about the team’s play.
In one of the more remarkable statistics in the NHL, Toronto has been outshot in all but four of its 31 games. On average, the Leafs are surrendering a league-high 37.1 shots per contest, over 10 shots more than they’re averaging themselves (26.7).
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 0
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 23
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 36
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 30
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 55
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (55)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)