Dec 11, 2013, 1:25 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs won’t have Dion Phaneuf for the next two games — and as we wrote yesterday, it should be interesting to see how they fare without their suspended captain — but they will have forward Joffrey Lupul back in the lineup tonight versus visiting Los Angeles.
Lupul, who’s missed the last seven games with a groin injury, has eight goals and seven assists in 22 games this season. The 30-year-old should be a nice addition for a team with just two regulation wins in its last 17 games. The Leafs do remain four points clear of the Rangers in the race for the final wild card spot in the Eastern Conference, but there’s obvious concern about the team’s play.
In one of the more remarkable statistics in the NHL, Toronto has been outshot in all but four of its 31 games. On average, the Leafs are surrendering a league-high 37.1 shots per contest, over 10 shots more than they’re averaging themselves (26.7).
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 7
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 9
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 108
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7