Dec 11, 2013, 12:05 PM EDT
Here’s what ex-Devils sniper Ilya Kovalchuk told R-Sport about the relationship between Avs goalie Semyon Varlamov and his girlfriend, who’s accusations of domestic violence led to third-degree assault charges last month:
“I hope to God it all pans out well and maybe he can somehow reach an agreement with his princess and finally she’d be given a green card, which she really wants,” Kovalchuk said.
The Colorado Avalanche netminder, 25, is widely expected to feature on the Russian roster for February’s Olympics in Sochi alongside Kovalchuk, who left the New Jersey Devils in the summer to return to Russia with SKA St. Petersburg.
Russia’s hockey stars “are all supporting” Varlamov, Kovalchuk said.
Varlamov, widely projected to be Russia’s No. 1 netminder in Sochi, will have the opportunity to enter a plea when he reappears in court on Jan. 22 — roughly two weeks before the Olympics begin.
For now, Varlamov remains free on bond and can travel with the Avalanche. So far the 25-year-old hasn’t allowed his legal situation to become a distraction, registering a .924 save percentage in November.
The maximum sentence for third-degree assault (a Class One Misdemeanor) is two years in county jail. According to Denver Post reporter Ryan Parker, Varlamov could also face deportation if convicted.
Varlamov was originally arrested for second-degree kidnapping and third-degree assault. The more serious kidnapping charge (a Class 4 Felony) was dropped as the DA didn’t feel it couldn’t be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.
Click here to read the arrest warrant.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)