Dec 11, 2013, 12:05 PM EDT
Here’s what ex-Devils sniper Ilya Kovalchuk told R-Sport about the relationship between Avs goalie Semyon Varlamov and his girlfriend, who’s accusations of domestic violence led to third-degree assault charges last month:
“I hope to God it all pans out well and maybe he can somehow reach an agreement with his princess and finally she’d be given a green card, which she really wants,” Kovalchuk said.
The Colorado Avalanche netminder, 25, is widely expected to feature on the Russian roster for February’s Olympics in Sochi alongside Kovalchuk, who left the New Jersey Devils in the summer to return to Russia with SKA St. Petersburg.
Russia’s hockey stars “are all supporting” Varlamov, Kovalchuk said.
Varlamov, widely projected to be Russia’s No. 1 netminder in Sochi, will have the opportunity to enter a plea when he reappears in court on Jan. 22 — roughly two weeks before the Olympics begin.
For now, Varlamov remains free on bond and can travel with the Avalanche. So far the 25-year-old hasn’t allowed his legal situation to become a distraction, registering a .924 save percentage in November.
The maximum sentence for third-degree assault (a Class One Misdemeanor) is two years in county jail. According to Denver Post reporter Ryan Parker, Varlamov could also face deportation if convicted.
Varlamov was originally arrested for second-degree kidnapping and third-degree assault. The more serious kidnapping charge (a Class 4 Felony) was dropped as the DA didn’t feel it couldn’t be proven beyond a reasonable doubt.
Click here to read the arrest warrant.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 10
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 4
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)