Dec 11, 2013, 7:28 PM EDT
Zack Kassian knows the Edmonton Oilers might have him in their sights on Friday night, and he’s ready for it.
“If they want to get some type of revenge, the door is open,” Kassian told the Vancouver Sun. “Go ahead.”
Kassian drew Edmonton’s ire during the preseason, when his high stick broke Sam Gagner‘s jaw. Kassian was suspended eight games for the incident and Gagner missed 13 games recovering, but the incident extended well beyond the two players.
Shortly after the high stick (which game in a game where Canucks forward Dale Weise took a healthy run at Taylor Hall), the Oilers said they needed to get tougher and started beefing up — most notably by claiming tough guy Steve MacIntyre off waivers:
MacIntyre never played a game for the Oilers (he had a knee injury before getting waived) and Edmonton eventually toned down the pugilist factor, shipping fellow tough guy Mike Brown to San Jose.
Still, there’s a good chance bad feelings have lingered. The Oilers and Canucks met once already this season, on Oct. 5, but Kassian was out serving his suspension and Weise played less than 10 minutes. As such, Kassian knows Friday’s game in Vancouver could be his time to answer the bell.
“Obviously I’m not too worried about someone coming after me,” he said. “I have no problem standing up for myself.”
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 1
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 13
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14