Dec 11, 2013, 7:28 PM EDT
Zack Kassian knows the Edmonton Oilers might have him in their sights on Friday night, and he’s ready for it.
“If they want to get some type of revenge, the door is open,” Kassian told the Vancouver Sun. “Go ahead.”
Kassian drew Edmonton’s ire during the preseason, when his high stick broke Sam Gagner‘s jaw. Kassian was suspended eight games for the incident and Gagner missed 13 games recovering, but the incident extended well beyond the two players.
Shortly after the high stick (which game in a game where Canucks forward Dale Weise took a healthy run at Taylor Hall), the Oilers said they needed to get tougher and started beefing up — most notably by claiming tough guy Steve MacIntyre off waivers:
MacIntyre never played a game for the Oilers (he had a knee injury before getting waived) and Edmonton eventually toned down the pugilist factor, shipping fellow tough guy Mike Brown to San Jose.
Still, there’s a good chance bad feelings have lingered. The Oilers and Canucks met once already this season, on Oct. 5, but Kassian was out serving his suspension and Weise played less than 10 minutes. As such, Kassian knows Friday’s game in Vancouver could be his time to answer the bell.
“Obviously I’m not too worried about someone coming after me,” he said. “I have no problem standing up for myself.”
- Five big games to watch this weekend 3
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 52
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)