Dec 11, 2013, 11:47 AM EDT
It’s expected Strome, 20, will make his NHL debut Thursday in Phoenix versus the Coyotes. The AHL’s leading scorer (nine goals and 24 assists) was originally set to play last night against the Sharks, but poor weather on the East Coast and time constraints got in the way.
Pierre-Marc Bouchard cleared waivers at noon EST yesterday, and Strome could not be officially recalled until then. Players cannot travel before their official recall, so Strome would have had to catch a flight (or more likely two), fly cross country all day and then try to jump into the lineup Tuesday night.
Strome was the fifth overall pick in the 2011 draft.
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 6
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)