Dec 11, 2013, 11:47 AM EDT
It’s expected Strome, 20, will make his NHL debut Thursday in Phoenix versus the Coyotes. The AHL’s leading scorer (nine goals and 24 assists) was originally set to play last night against the Sharks, but poor weather on the East Coast and time constraints got in the way.
Pierre-Marc Bouchard cleared waivers at noon EST yesterday, and Strome could not be officially recalled until then. Players cannot travel before their official recall, so Strome would have had to catch a flight (or more likely two), fly cross country all day and then try to jump into the lineup Tuesday night.
Strome was the fifth overall pick in the 2011 draft.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 7
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 57
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 36
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 (58)