Dec 11, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
The United Center will continue to be the United Center for at least the next 20 years.
That’s the plan for now, at least — i.e. assuming United Airlines is still United Airlines in 20 years.
“We’re thrilled to have United Airlines on board for another 20 years,” said Chicago Blackhawks owner Rocky Wirtz in a release about the naming-rights deal. “We are proud of the partnership and what it will continue to mean to the United Center, from our fans and customers, to the positive economic role the United Center will continue to play in Chicago.”
Opened in 1994, the United Center replaced the old Chicago Stadium. The new arena wasn’t universally loved at first, with many fans complaining it was too big, making it harder to foster the same atmosphere of the previous rink. But on the bright side, there were far fewer rats.
The ‘Hawks are averaging an NHL-high 21,415 in attendance this season. They’ve led the league in attendance since 2008-09.
Financial terms of the new deal were not disclosed.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)