Dec 11, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
The United Center will continue to be the United Center for at least the next 20 years.
That’s the plan for now, at least — i.e. assuming United Airlines is still United Airlines in 20 years.
“We’re thrilled to have United Airlines on board for another 20 years,” said Chicago Blackhawks owner Rocky Wirtz in a release about the naming-rights deal. “We are proud of the partnership and what it will continue to mean to the United Center, from our fans and customers, to the positive economic role the United Center will continue to play in Chicago.”
Opened in 1994, the United Center replaced the old Chicago Stadium. The new arena wasn’t universally loved at first, with many fans complaining it was too big, making it harder to foster the same atmosphere of the previous rink. But on the bright side, there were far fewer rats.
The ‘Hawks are averaging an NHL-high 21,415 in attendance this season. They’ve led the league in attendance since 2008-09.
Financial terms of the new deal were not disclosed.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)