Dec 11, 2013, 2:07 PM EDT
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Big storylines out of Toronto
Intriguing matchup between the Kings and Leafs tonight at the ACC, where Jonathan Bernier will get the start for Toronto and, in the process, go up against the L.A. team that drafted him 11th overall in 2006 and employed him for five years.
“It’s going to be an emotional game,” Bernier said, as per the National Post. “I got drafted by them so there’s a great relationship with everyone there.”
Jones was the first goalie off the ice this morning while Scrivens stayed out for extra work, according to the L.A. Times.
– Another reunion will occur tonight in Chicago, as Ray Emery gets the start for Philly against the Blackhawks, the team he played for last season (he won the Jennings Trophy with Corey Crawford for fewest goals allowed).
“I love the city. We had a good season last year,” Emery told CSN Philly. “A game is a game, and you want to focus on that game. You appreciate the year and with a championship season, you have time to celebrate that during the summer, and I am kind of past that and want to do well here.”
Chicago hasn’t officially announced its goalie yet, but Antti Raanta is expected to get the start.
– Jonas Hiller will go for Anaheim tonight as the Ducks host the Wild at the Honda Center. No word yet on who Minnesota will have in goal.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)