Dec 11, 2013, 2:07 PM EDT
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Big storylines out of Toronto
Intriguing matchup between the Kings and Leafs tonight at the ACC, where Jonathan Bernier will get the start for Toronto and, in the process, go up against the L.A. team that drafted him 11th overall in 2006 and employed him for five years.
“It’s going to be an emotional game,” Bernier said, as per the National Post. “I got drafted by them so there’s a great relationship with everyone there.”
Jones was the first goalie off the ice this morning while Scrivens stayed out for extra work, according to the L.A. Times.
— Another reunion will occur tonight in Chicago, as Ray Emery gets the start for Philly against the Blackhawks, the team he played for last season (he won the Jennings Trophy with Corey Crawford for fewest goals allowed).
“I love the city. We had a good season last year,” Emery told CSN Philly. “A game is a game, and you want to focus on that game. You appreciate the year and with a championship season, you have time to celebrate that during the summer, and I am kind of past that and want to do well here.”
Chicago hasn’t officially announced its goalie yet, but Antti Raanta is expected to get the start.
— Jonas Hiller will go for Anaheim tonight as the Ducks host the Wild at the Honda Center. No word yet on who Minnesota will have in goal.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 19
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 71
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (71)