Dec 11, 2013, 10:59 PM EDT
It was close, at least for a bit, but then the Chicago Blackhawks just couldn’t be stopped from filling the net.
The Blackhawks defeated the visiting Philadelphia Flyers by a final score of 7-2 on Rivalry Night on NBCSN Wednesday evening.
- The Blackhawks didn’t see a whole bunch of shots in order to put up the seven spot – only 23 to be exact. Flyers’ goalie Ray Emery was given the pull one minute and five seconds into the third period, after allowing six goals on 18 shots.
- Talk about a special teams battle. The Blackhawks got two power play goals and a short-handed goal. The Flyers scored both their goals on the man advantage. So, at least they had that going for them.
- This game turned early in the second period, when the Blackhawks scored twice in 39 seconds, turning a one-goal deficit quickly into a one-goal lead.
- A feisty affair in Chicago tonight. Flyers’ forward Wayne Simmonds and Blackhawks’ defenseman Sheldon Brookbank dropped the gloves just 1:47 into this one.
- Four misconducts handed out in the final five minutes, as tempers flared.
- Jonathan Toews had his left pinky finger taped up after the game, according to Chris Kuc of the Chicago Tribune. He also reported that Toews said the injury was “short-term.”
- Antti Raanta is now 5-0-1 in his young NHL career. He made 28 saves for Chicago.
- Marian Hossa three assists; Patrick Kane two assists; Patrick Sharp a goal and two assists. Good production from top players.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 53
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 32
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 28
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 16
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)