Dec 11, 2013, 10:59 AM EDT
On paper, Minnesota is not a good road team — but in the mind of Matt Cooke, the Wild should be.
“Personally, I think we’re built for the road,” Cooke told the Pioneer Press. “We don’t want to go out and make everything look pretty. We’re a team that’s going to go out and play responsible and take care of our own end and capitalize on our opportunities.
“That should suit us well on the road.”
The Wild have just five wins in 14 games away from Xcel Energy Center this year, with three of those wins coming against non-playoff entities (at Buffalo, at Ottawa, at Winnipeg). Only one — a signature 5-3 win over the ‘Hawks at the United Center on Oct. 26 — has come against a Western Conference foe.
Minnesota’s being asked questions about their shoddy road record because it’s about to embark on arguably its toughest stretch of the year. The Wild play tonight in Anaheim, Thursday in San Jose and Saturday in Colorado before returning home for a one-game set against Vancouver.
After the Canucks game, the Wild are back out on the road for a four-game Eastern swing through Pittsburgh, New York (Rangers), Philly and Winnipeg.
All told, the Wild play seven of their next eight on the road, and know they have to start getting some results.
“We haven’t been that good on the road, but we’ve been pretty solid at home,” Ryan Suter said. “We have to find a way to get better on the road because good teams win on the road. We’ve got to get that going.”
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)