Dec 11, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
Maurice “The Rocket” Richard was the first to do it. Brett Hull was the last. In between, three others did it — Mike Bossy, Wayne Gretzky, and Mario Lemieux.
Now, Alex Ovechkin is hoping to do it, too.
We are, of course, talking about scoring 50 goals in 50 games — an accomplishment that all of a sudden looks a lot more realistic for Ovechkin following his four-goal game last night.
From CSN Washington:
Ovechkin has 26 goals in 29 games, missing two games with a right shoulder injury. To achieve the league-recognized 50 in 50, Ovechkin would need to score 24 goals in the Caps’ next 19 games.
He could also net an injury-interrupted 50 in 50 with 24 goals in his next 21 games, which is similar to what Jari Kurri, Alexander Mogilny, Lemieux and Cam Neely did in their careers.
“Of course it would be nice to score that [many] goals in that [many] games,” Ovechkin said. “It’s really hard and it’s almost impossible to do it right now because the level of hockey is so high. You almost have to score every game or two a game to do that.
“We’ll see what’s going to happen. My job is to score goals. Every opportunity I have I’m going to try to put it in the net.”
Is it likely Ovechkin gets 50 in 50? It is not. But the fact we’re even talking about it is impressive in today’s NHL.
Suffice to say, the Capitals’ captain is facing slightly better goaltending — not to mention much more advanced defensive systems — than Gretzky did back in 1981-82 when the Great One scored his amazing 50 in 39.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 24
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)