Dec 10, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
The Captain is coming back to Detroit.
On Tuesday, the Red Wings announced that Steve Yzerman would participate in the 2013 Winter Classic Alumni Showdown, cementing what will be one of the most star-studded lineups in alumni game history.
Yzerman joins a Detroit roster featuring Sergei Fedorov, Brendan Shanahan, Igor Larionov, Alex Delvecchio, Chris Chelios, Mark Howe, Larry Murphy, Paul Coffey, Brian Rafalski and Nicklas Lidstrom.
News of Yzerman joining the fold is something of a surprise given he previously turned down the opportunity to participate in the 2013 Winter Classic alumni game (which went the way of the dodo bird thanks to the lockout).
“It will be a fantastic event with two great organizations at a storied venue,” Yzerman told the Detroit News last year. “The perfect location and matchup, this is wonderful for the NHL.
“At this time I don’t plan on participating in the alumni game but hope to watch the Classic on TV.”
It’s possible the inclusion of so many of Yzerman’s ex-teammates changed his mind. To see the full list of participants, click here.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 4
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)