Dec 10, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
The Captain is coming back to Detroit.
On Tuesday, the Red Wings announced that Steve Yzerman would participate in the 2013 Winter Classic Alumni Showdown, cementing what will be one of the most star-studded lineups in alumni game history.
Yzerman joins a Detroit roster featuring Sergei Fedorov, Brendan Shanahan, Igor Larionov, Alex Delvecchio, Chris Chelios, Mark Howe, Larry Murphy, Paul Coffey, Brian Rafalski and Nicklas Lidstrom.
News of Yzerman joining the fold is something of a surprise given he previously turned down the opportunity to participate in the 2013 Winter Classic alumni game (which went the way of the dodo bird thanks to the lockout).
“It will be a fantastic event with two great organizations at a storied venue,” Yzerman told the Detroit News last year. “The perfect location and matchup, this is wonderful for the NHL.
“At this time I don’t plan on participating in the alumni game but hope to watch the Classic on TV.”
It’s possible the inclusion of so many of Yzerman’s ex-teammates changed his mind. To see the full list of participants, click here.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)