Dec 10, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
The Captain is coming back to Detroit.
On Tuesday, the Red Wings announced that Steve Yzerman would participate in the 2013 Winter Classic Alumni Showdown, cementing what will be one of the most star-studded lineups in alumni game history.
Yzerman joins a Detroit roster featuring Sergei Fedorov, Brendan Shanahan, Igor Larionov, Alex Delvecchio, Chris Chelios, Mark Howe, Larry Murphy, Paul Coffey, Brian Rafalski and Nicklas Lidstrom.
News of Yzerman joining the fold is something of a surprise given he previously turned down the opportunity to participate in the 2013 Winter Classic alumni game (which went the way of the dodo bird thanks to the lockout).
“It will be a fantastic event with two great organizations at a storied venue,” Yzerman told the Detroit News last year. “The perfect location and matchup, this is wonderful for the NHL.
“At this time I don’t plan on participating in the alumni game but hope to watch the Classic on TV.”
It’s possible the inclusion of so many of Yzerman’s ex-teammates changed his mind. To see the full list of participants, click here.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 22
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 31
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 98
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 11
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)