Dec 10, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
The Captain is coming back to Detroit.
On Tuesday, the Red Wings announced that Steve Yzerman would participate in the 2013 Winter Classic Alumni Showdown, cementing what will be one of the most star-studded lineups in alumni game history.
Yzerman joins a Detroit roster featuring Sergei Fedorov, Brendan Shanahan, Igor Larionov, Alex Delvecchio, Chris Chelios, Mark Howe, Larry Murphy, Paul Coffey, Brian Rafalski and Nicklas Lidstrom.
News of Yzerman joining the fold is something of a surprise given he previously turned down the opportunity to participate in the 2013 Winter Classic alumni game (which went the way of the dodo bird thanks to the lockout).
“It will be a fantastic event with two great organizations at a storied venue,” Yzerman told the Detroit News last year. “The perfect location and matchup, this is wonderful for the NHL.
“At this time I don’t plan on participating in the alumni game but hope to watch the Classic on TV.”
It’s possible the inclusion of so many of Yzerman’s ex-teammates changed his mind. To see the full list of participants, click here.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5