Dec 10, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT
For those who think the NHL is going overboard with all the outdoor games, well, sorry for what you’re about to read.
From the Winnipeg Free Press:
The Winnipeg Jets are set to celebrate their fifth anniversary in the NHL with an outdoor game in the winter of 2016.
Jets chairman Mark Chipman confirmed Monday the league and True North have agreed to play a Heritage Classic at Winnipeg’s Investors Group Field two seasons from now.
And from the Canadian Press, here’s what the Phoenix Coyotes are thinking about doing next year:
The plan would be to hold it around the Super Bowl, which is set for early February at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz.
Chase Field, the home of MLB’s Arizona Diamondbacks, would be the most logical place. That has a retractable roof, as does University of Phoenix Stadium, which is home to the NFL’s Cardinals.
It stands to reason that the Phoenix outdoor game would be the riskiest venture of the two, at least from a ticket-selling perspective. If there’s one franchise that doesn’t want to put on a big event and have a half-empty stadium to show for it, it’s the Coyotes.
There would be upside though, provided they could pull it off.
“It wouldn’t be the impact of the revenue from that particular game, it would be the impact that that game would have on us in selling tickets throughout the year,” Coyotes president and CEO Anthony LeBlanc said. “Our view is that would certainly help us in driving more season tickets, it would help us in driving (partial season-ticket plans). It’s just bringing more attention to the sport.”
The opponent would be an interesting debate as well. Would they go with Los Angeles or Anaheim for geographical purposes? Or maybe it’s a star-studded team like Pittsburgh? Or would a Canadian team be better, giving fans of the Canucks, Oilers, or Flames a chance to get some sun, play some golf and cheer on their team, all in the same trip?
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 2
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)