Dec 10, 2013, 11:47 AM EST
From TSN’s Bob McKenzie:
Thornton was offered the in-person hearing in accordance with the CBA, as it’s likely the suspension for his altercation with Pittsburgh defenseman Brooks Orpik will exceed five games.
From NHL.com, a recap of what happened Saturday in Boston, and what Thornton is facing discipline-wise:
At 11:06 of the first period, Thornton confronted Orpik in a scrum, pulling him to the ice and throwing punches. Orpik was removed from the ice on a stretcher. The Penguins announced after the game he would travel with the team back to Pittsburgh; he had been taken to a local hospital, where he was alert and conscious.
Thornton was assessed a match penalty on the play.
The following grounds are being considered for supplemental discipline: rule 46.2, aggressor and rule 46.15, match penalty.
For now, Thornton is suspended indefinitely. The Bruins play Tuesday in Calgary, Thursday in Edmonton, and Saturday in Vancouver (their first game at Rogers Arena since winning the 2011 Stanley Cup there) before returning home to face the Flames on Dec. 17.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)