Dec 10, 2013, 11:47 AM EDT
From TSN’s Bob McKenzie:
Thornton was offered the in-person hearing in accordance with the CBA, as it’s likely the suspension for his altercation with Pittsburgh defenseman Brooks Orpik will exceed five games.
From NHL.com, a recap of what happened Saturday in Boston, and what Thornton is facing discipline-wise:
At 11:06 of the first period, Thornton confronted Orpik in a scrum, pulling him to the ice and throwing punches. Orpik was removed from the ice on a stretcher. The Penguins announced after the game he would travel with the team back to Pittsburgh; he had been taken to a local hospital, where he was alert and conscious.
Thornton was assessed a match penalty on the play.
The following grounds are being considered for supplemental discipline: rule 46.2, aggressor and rule 46.15, match penalty.
For now, Thornton is suspended indefinitely. The Bruins play Tuesday in Calgary, Thursday in Edmonton, and Saturday in Vancouver (their first game at Rogers Arena since winning the 2011 Stanley Cup there) before returning home to face the Flames on Dec. 17.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)