Dec 10, 2013, 11:47 AM EDT
From TSN’s Bob McKenzie:
Thornton was offered the in-person hearing in accordance with the CBA, as it’s likely the suspension for his altercation with Pittsburgh defenseman Brooks Orpik will exceed five games.
From NHL.com, a recap of what happened Saturday in Boston, and what Thornton is facing discipline-wise:
At 11:06 of the first period, Thornton confronted Orpik in a scrum, pulling him to the ice and throwing punches. Orpik was removed from the ice on a stretcher. The Penguins announced after the game he would travel with the team back to Pittsburgh; he had been taken to a local hospital, where he was alert and conscious.
Thornton was assessed a match penalty on the play.
The following grounds are being considered for supplemental discipline: rule 46.2, aggressor and rule 46.15, match penalty.
For now, Thornton is suspended indefinitely. The Bruins play Tuesday in Calgary, Thursday in Edmonton, and Saturday in Vancouver (their first game at Rogers Arena since winning the 2011 Stanley Cup there) before returning home to face the Flames on Dec. 17.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 10
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 23
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 66
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (70)