Dec 10, 2013, 11:47 AM EDT
From TSN’s Bob McKenzie:
Thornton was offered the in-person hearing in accordance with the CBA, as it’s likely the suspension for his altercation with Pittsburgh defenseman Brooks Orpik will exceed five games.
From NHL.com, a recap of what happened Saturday in Boston, and what Thornton is facing discipline-wise:
At 11:06 of the first period, Thornton confronted Orpik in a scrum, pulling him to the ice and throwing punches. Orpik was removed from the ice on a stretcher. The Penguins announced after the game he would travel with the team back to Pittsburgh; he had been taken to a local hospital, where he was alert and conscious.
Thornton was assessed a match penalty on the play.
The following grounds are being considered for supplemental discipline: rule 46.2, aggressor and rule 46.15, match penalty.
For now, Thornton is suspended indefinitely. The Bruins play Tuesday in Calgary, Thursday in Edmonton, and Saturday in Vancouver (their first game at Rogers Arena since winning the 2011 Stanley Cup there) before returning home to face the Flames on Dec. 17.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (32)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)