Dec 10, 2013, 11:47 AM EDT
From TSN’s Bob McKenzie:
Shawn Thornton's in-person hearing with NHL is tentatively set for Friday afternoon in NYC.—
Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) December 10, 2013
Thornton was offered the in-person hearing in accordance with the CBA, as it’s likely the suspension for his altercation with Pittsburgh defenseman Brooks Orpik will exceed five games.
From NHL.com, a recap of what happened Saturday in Boston, and what Thornton is facing discipline-wise:
At 11:06 of the first period, Thornton confronted Orpik in a scrum, pulling him to the ice and throwing punches. Orpik was removed from the ice on a stretcher. The Penguins announced after the game he would travel with the team back to Pittsburgh; he had been taken to a local hospital, where he was alert and conscious.
Thornton was assessed a match penalty on the play.
The following grounds are being considered for supplemental discipline: rule 46.2, aggressor and rule 46.15, match penalty.
For now, Thornton is suspended indefinitely. The Bruins play Tuesday in Calgary, Thursday in Edmonton, and Saturday in Vancouver (their first game at Rogers Arena since winning the 2011 Stanley Cup there) before returning home to face the Flames on Dec. 17.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 19
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 18
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 43
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 120
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 36
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 79
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7