Dec 10, 2013, 5:13 PM EDT
The resurgence of the Vancouver Canucks in the Western Conference has made tonight’s game between the Coyotes and Avalanche all the more important in terms of playoff positioning.
“You look at the standings right now and it’s the first time all season we’ve been outside the playoffs looking in,” Phoenix coach Dave Tippett said, per NHL.com.
“These conference games are huge. We know it’s going to be a tight game and we’ve got to find ways to give ourselves the best chance to win.”
Here are those standings:
Phoenix is certainly looking vulnerable these days. After an impressive 14-4-3 start, the Coyotes have just two wins in their last eight. They’ll also be without captain Shane Doan (illness) again tonight.
When asked about an outdoor game, Tippett said: "I’m worried about an indoor game in Colorado tonight not an outdoor game 3 years from now."—
Sarah McLellan (@azc_mclellan) December 10, 2013
Related: Coyotes recall Brule
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 11
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 14
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 32
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 44
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 28
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 53
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10