Dec 10, 2013, 7:47 PM EDT
To put things mildly, the Washington Capitals didn’t get off to a strong start against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Tuesday.
Holtby, 24, was pulled 11:07 into the first period after allowing three goals on just eight shots. This continues a season of highs and lows for the Capitals goalie, who was also yanked on Oct. 4, Oct. 27 and Dec. 3.
Green, 28, deserves plenty of the blame, though.
He received a double-minor for hi-sticking 2:14 in (Martin St. Louis scored on the power play 12 seconds later), a tripping penalty 9:07 in (Nikita Kucherov added another power-play goal) and then received a misconduct for hi-sticking Tyler Johnson at the 11:42 mark of the first period. Yikes.
If Caps fans need reasons for optimism, at least this little meltdown came early. Alex Ovechkin already cut the deficit down to 3-1 later on in the first period, so perhaps the Caps will storm back into this one.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 5
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 5
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 13
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)