Dec 10, 2013, 7:47 PM EST
To put things mildly, the Washington Capitals didn’t get off to a strong start against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Tuesday.
Holtby, 24, was pulled 11:07 into the first period after allowing three goals on just eight shots. This continues a season of highs and lows for the Capitals goalie, who was also yanked on Oct. 4, Oct. 27 and Dec. 3.
Green, 28, deserves plenty of the blame, though.
He received a double-minor for hi-sticking 2:14 in (Martin St. Louis scored on the power play 12 seconds later), a tripping penalty 9:07 in (Nikita Kucherov added another power-play goal) and then received a misconduct for hi-sticking Tyler Johnson at the 11:42 mark of the first period. Yikes.
If Caps fans need reasons for optimism, at least this little meltdown came early. Alex Ovechkin already cut the deficit down to 3-1 later on in the first period, so perhaps the Caps will storm back into this one.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 7
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 13
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5