Dec 10, 2013, 7:47 PM EDT
To put things mildly, the Washington Capitals didn’t get off to a strong start against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Tuesday.
Holtby, 24, was pulled 11:07 into the first period after allowing three goals on just eight shots. This continues a season of highs and lows for the Capitals goalie, who was also yanked on Oct. 4, Oct. 27 and Dec. 3.
Green, 28, deserves plenty of the blame, though.
He received a double-minor for hi-sticking 2:14 in (Martin St. Louis scored on the power play 12 seconds later), a tripping penalty 9:07 in (Nikita Kucherov added another power-play goal) and then received a misconduct for hi-sticking Tyler Johnson at the 11:42 mark of the first period. Yikes.
If Caps fans need reasons for optimism, at least this little meltdown came early. Alex Ovechkin already cut the deficit down to 3-1 later on in the first period, so perhaps the Caps will storm back into this one.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)