Dec 10, 2013, 7:47 PM EST
To put things mildly, the Washington Capitals didn’t get off to a strong start against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Tuesday.
Holtby, 24, was pulled 11:07 into the first period after allowing three goals on just eight shots. This continues a season of highs and lows for the Capitals goalie, who was also yanked on Oct. 4, Oct. 27 and Dec. 3.
Green, 28, deserves plenty of the blame, though.
He received a double-minor for hi-sticking 2:14 in (Martin St. Louis scored on the power play 12 seconds later), a tripping penalty 9:07 in (Nikita Kucherov added another power-play goal) and then received a misconduct for hi-sticking Tyler Johnson at the 11:42 mark of the first period. Yikes.
If Caps fans need reasons for optimism, at least this little meltdown came early. Alex Ovechkin already cut the deficit down to 3-1 later on in the first period, so perhaps the Caps will storm back into this one.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)