Dec 10, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
Leave it to Alex Ovechkin (and an astounding power play unit) to wash away the bitter taste of what seemed like a sure defeat for the Washington Capitals.
(Ovechkin’s partner-in-crime Nicklas Backstrom was phenomenal in his own right, scoring a goal and four assists for a five-point night.)
The Tampa Bay Lightning built a discouraging 3-0 lead on Tuesday, but Ovechkin & Co. roared back to win 6-5 via their captain’s impressive four-goal performance and the shootout.
Ovechkin started off by giving the Capitals some life with this 3-1 goal off the borderline unfair faceoff win + one-timer routine:
(Aside from winning the faceoff or hoping Ovi flubs the shot, it’s tough to give much advice in stopping that.)
Ovi’s hat trick goal was another one of those nearly hopeless situations for opponents. It also might have provided a little redemption for Mike Green:
Finally, Ovechkin tied it up with about 30 seconds left, giving him four goals on the night and a ridiculous 26 goals in just 29 games.
That being said, he didn’t score in the shootout. Slacker.
A player has scored 4 goals in a game 24 times since dating to the ’05-06 season. Alex Ovechkin has 3 of those occasions.
— Stephen Whyno (@SWhyno) December 11, 2013
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)