Dec 10, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
Leave it to Alex Ovechkin (and an astounding power play unit) to wash away the bitter taste of what seemed like a sure defeat for the Washington Capitals.
(Ovechkin’s partner-in-crime Nicklas Backstrom was phenomenal in his own right, scoring a goal and four assists for a five-point night.)
The Tampa Bay Lightning built a discouraging 3-0 lead on Tuesday, but Ovechkin & Co. roared back to win 6-5 via their captain’s impressive four-goal performance and the shootout.
Ovechkin started off by giving the Capitals some life with this 3-1 goal off the borderline unfair faceoff win + one-timer routine:
(Aside from winning the faceoff or hoping Ovi flubs the shot, it’s tough to give much advice in stopping that.)
Ovi’s hat trick goal was another one of those nearly hopeless situations for opponents. It also might have provided a little redemption for Mike Green:
Finally, Ovechkin tied it up with about 30 seconds left, giving him four goals on the night and a ridiculous 26 goals in just 29 games.
That being said, he didn’t score in the shootout. Slacker.
A player has scored 4 goals in a game 24 times since dating to the ’05-06 season. Alex Ovechkin has 3 of those occasions.
— Stephen Whyno (@SWhyno) December 11, 2013
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)