Dec 10, 2013, 10:02 PM EDT
Leave it to Alex Ovechkin (and an astounding power play unit) to wash away the bitter taste of what seemed like a sure defeat for the Washington Capitals.
(Ovechkin’s partner-in-crime Nicklas Backstrom was phenomenal in his own right, scoring a goal and four assists for a five-point night.)
The Tampa Bay Lightning built a discouraging 3-0 lead on Tuesday, but Ovechkin & Co. roared back to win 6-5 via their captain’s impressive four-goal performance and the shootout.
Ovechkin started off by giving the Capitals some life with this 3-1 goal off the borderline unfair faceoff win + one-timer routine:
(Aside from winning the faceoff or hoping Ovi flubs the shot, it’s tough to give much advice in stopping that.)
Ovi’s hat trick goal was another one of those nearly hopeless situations for opponents. It also might have provided a little redemption for Mike Green:
Finally, Ovechkin tied it up with about 30 seconds left, giving him four goals on the night and a ridiculous 26 goals in just 29 games.
That being said, he didn’t score in the shootout. Slacker.
A player has scored 4 goals in a game 24 times since dating to the ’05-06 season. Alex Ovechkin has 3 of those occasions.
— Stephen Whyno (@SWhyno) December 11, 2013
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 11
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 4
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 11
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 74
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 67
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)