Dec 10, 2013, 11:14 PM EDT
After Tuesday’s 4-1 loss to the Nashville Predators, Henrik Lundqvist told reporters that it’s the worst stretch he’s endured – individually and for the team – since he landed with the New York Rangers in 2005-06.
He did provide The Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross with some optimism, too, though … kind of.
“The only thing I know right now is it can only go up,” Lundqvist said.
Ah yes, the glass-can’t-get-any-less-full approach.
In other grim news, Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault mentioned after the game that the squad lacks the personnel required to make his offensive-minded gameplan work. That comment must leave GM Glen Sather bristling, as John Tortorella also implied that the team lacked the needed firepower to get over the hump after the Washington Capitals bumped them out of the 2011 playoffs.
Losing versatile captain Ryan Callahan for four-to-six weeks probably won’t help the Rangers personnel-wise, either, so times are tough for New York.
The Rangers have dropped the first three games of a nine-game homestand, so the question is whether this series of contests at Madison Square Garden might be a curse in disguise. Then again, if you ask Lundqvist, it can’t get much worse.
At least that’s what the Rangers hope.
Apr 21, 2015, 12:55 AM EDT
Down 2-1 in the series.
Apr 21, 2015, 12:33 AM EDT
Another comeback victory for Anaheim.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Devan Dubnyk produces his first playoff shutout.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
It drew a two-minute roughing penalty.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
No call on the first collision.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
Will shifting locales produce interesting results?
Apr 20, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
A close-to-perfect road effort from New York.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
New Jersey’s only player who went under the knife this offseason.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:51 PM EDT
He needs some help, though.
Apr 20, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT
Sleepy start by Pittsburgh.
Apr 20, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
His issue is an upper-body injury.
Apr 20, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
But will he be around to see it happen?
Apr 20, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT
Things can change quickly in the playoffs.
Apr 20, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
He did share some buzzwords though.
Apr 20, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Upper-body injury for the veteran forward.
Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’
Apr 20, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
Was he talking about the Oilers? Sharks?
Apr 20, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Corey Crawford will sit, once again, against the Preds.
Apr 20, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Blues and Wild meet tonight in Game 3 at Xcel.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 8
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 37
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 89
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (89)